Therapy of Cerebrovascular Disorders
The proper management of patients with cerebral ischemia or infarction depends upon (1) the etiology of the process, (2) its state of evolution, and (3) the relationship between the disorder in the nervous system and the condition of the patient in general. In the past several years our ability precisely to define these three factors has improved enormously because of the discovery of new and safer ways to image the brain and its supporting blood vessels. The lesions in the arteries can be localized, the hemodynamic effects quantified and their effects on brain parenchyma assessed with definition of the type and extent of the pathologic process. However, no amount of technical information can substitute for the judgment of the clinician who must understand the natural history of the disorder and relate it to the patient, his family unit, and in some cases, to his community.
KeywordsInternal Carotid Artery Temporal Arteritis Left Internal Carotid Artery Carotid System Cerebrovascular Insufficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.BARNETT, H.J.M.: Discussion X. Princeton Conference. In: Cerebrovascular diseases (P. SCHEINBERG, Ed.). New York: Raven Press Publ., 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.GREENHOUSE, A.H.: Cranial arteritis. Current Concepts of Cerebro-Vasucular Disease. Stroke 6, 11 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.HOUSER, O.W., BAKER, H.L., SANDOK, B.A., HOLLEY, K.E.: Fibromuscular dysplasia of the cephalic arterial system, In: Handbook of Clinical Neurology (P.J. VINKEN, G.W. BRUYN, Eds.), vol. 11, chapt. 14, p. 366–385. Amsterdam: North Holland Publ. 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.McHENRY, L.C., TOOLE, J.F., MILLER, H.S.: Long-term EKG monitoring in patients with cerebrovascular insufficiency. StrokeGoogle Scholar
- 9.TOOLE, J.F.: Management of TIA’s. In: Trans. Princeton Conf. on Cerebrovascular Dis. (P. SCHEINBERG, Ed.), New York: Raven Press 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.TOOLE, J.F., PATEL, A.N.: Cerebrovascular Disorders, p. 237–242. New York: McGraw Hill 1974.Google Scholar