Development of the Respiratory System in Herring and Plaice Larvae
This study was initiated to gain some insight into the development of the respiratory system in 2 teleost species, herring (Clupea harengus L.) and plaice (Pleuronectes platessa L.) well separated taxonomically. Plaice hatch with gill arches (Holliday and Jones, 1967) as do herring, but the arches are better developed in the plaice. The gill filaments develop later in both species. The larvae are completely transparent at hatching without respiratory pigment, the blood becoming pink, weeks or months later at metamorphosis.
KeywordsPeroxi Respiration Shrinkage Carbon Monoxide Paraffin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- De Silva, C.D., 1973. The ontogeny of respiration in herring and plaice larvae. Thesis, University of Stirling, Scotland.Google Scholar
- De Silva, C.D. and Tytler, P., 1972. The influence of reduced environmental oxygen on the metabolism and survival of herring and plaice larvae. Neth. J. Sea Res., 7, 345–362.Google Scholar
- Korzhuev, P.A. and Radzinskaya, 1957. A micromethod of haemoglobin determination. Vop. Ikhtiol, 9, 192–196.Google Scholar
- Muir, B.S. and Hughes, G.M., 1969. Gill dimensions for three species of tunny. J. exp. Biol., 51, 271–285.Google Scholar
- Ostroumova, I.N., 1962. The first appearance of haemoglobin in the embryos of the rainbow trout. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 147, 263–264.Google Scholar
- Price, J.W., 1931. Growth and gill development in the small-mouthed black bass, Micropterus dolomieu Lacepede. Ohio State Univ. Stud., 4, 46 pp.Google Scholar
- Radzinskaya, L.I., 1960. The peroxidase reaction and the formation of haemoglobin during the embryonic development of sturgeon. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 130, 1173–1176.Google Scholar
- Radzinskaya, L.I., 1966. Changes in the blood indices of young and spawning Neva Salmon (Salmo salar L.). Vop. Ikhtiol., 6, 568–573.Google Scholar
- Radzinskaya, L.I., 1968. Localization and amount of peroxidase in the embryonic development of Neva salmon (Salmo salar L.). Vop. Ikhtiol, 8, 304–306.Google Scholar
- Ryland, J.S., 1966. Observations on the development of larvae of the plaice, Pleuronectes platessa in aquaria. J. Cons. perm. int. Explor. Mer, 30, 177–195.Google Scholar
- Winberg, G.G., 1960. Rate of metabolism and food requirements of fishes. Fish. Res. Bd Can., Transi. No. 194.Google Scholar