Citrus Water Requirement Experiments Conducted in Israel during the 1960’s
Citrus is the largest agricultural production and export crop in Israel. In 1965, it represented about 17% of total production and about 80% of total export. The area planted with citrus was then approximately 45,200 ha, and water consumption was 323.1 million m3, representing about one-third of the total water allocation to agriculture.
KeywordsWater Application Irrigation Efficiency Irrigation Season Sour Orange Supplementary Trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bielorai, H., Levy, I.: Irrigation regimes in a semi-arid area and their effects on grapefruit yield, water use and soil salinity. Israel J. Agr. Res. 21 (1), 3–12 (1971).Google Scholar
- Furr, J. R.: Responses of citrus and dates to variations in soilwater conditions at different seasons. Int. Hort. Congr., 14th Symp. (Netherlands) 10,400–412 (1955).Google Scholar
- Hilgeman, R. H., Sharp, F. O.: Response of Valencia orange trees to four soil water schedules during 20 years. Proc. Am. Soc. hort. Sci. 95, 739–745 (1970).Google Scholar
- Heller, J., Shalhevet, J., Goell, A.: Response of a citrus orchard to soil moisture and salinity. This volume, p. 409–419.Google Scholar
- Jensen, M. E., Swarner, L. R., Phelan, J. T.: Improving irrigation efficiencies. In: Irrigation of agricultural lands. Ed. R. M. Hagan, et al., Amer. Soc. Agron. Madison, Wisconsin: Mono II, 1120–1142,(1967).Google Scholar
- Koo, R. C. J.: Evapotranspiration and soil moisture determination as guides to citrus irrigation. Proc. 1st Int. Citrus Symp. 3,1725–1729 (1969).Google Scholar
- Oppenheimer, H. R.: Water requirement and irrigation of citrus groves. Proc. 13th Int. Hort. Congr. 2, 1267–1280 (1952).Google Scholar
- Shmueli, E.: The contribution of research to the efficient use of water in Israel agriculture. Z. f. Be-wässerungswirtschaft 6, 38–58 (1971).Google Scholar
- Shmueli, E.: A general survey of citrus irrigation research in Israel during the 1960s. Spec. Publ. Volcani Inst. Agric. Res., Bet Dagan. No. 4. (Hebrew with English summary), 1971.Google Scholar