On the Stability of Periodic Solutions in Fluid Mechanics
In various stability problems of fluid mechanics, such as the Taylor problem, the Bénard problem or the problem of plane Poiseuille flow, there exists a critical value of the governing parameter R (Taylor number, Rayleigh number, Reynolds number) above which the flow becomes unstable (according to linear theory) to spatially periodic disturbances of which the wave number k lies within an interval k 1(R) < k < k 2(R). Non-linear theories have shown that spatially periodic solutions which are bounded for all time can exist in such supercritical conditions. The stability of these supercritical periodic solutions, and investigation of further possible solutions in the supercritical region, are the subject of this paper.
KeywordsPeriodic Solution Rayleigh Number Fluid Mechanic Couette Flow Taylor Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eckhaus, W.: Studies in Non-linear Stability Theory. Berlin/Heidelberg/ New York: Springer 1965.Google Scholar
- 2.Diprima, R. C., Habetler, G. J.: A completeness theorem for non-self- adjoint eigenvalue problems in hydrodynamic stability. Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal, (to appear).Google Scholar
- 3.DiPrima, R. C.: Vector eigenfunction expansions for the growth of Taylor vortices in the flow between rotating cylinders. In: Non-Linear Partial Dif-ferential Equations, New York: Academic Press 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.Kogelman, S.: Stability of spatially periodic supercritical flows in hydro-dynamics. Thesis, Dept. of Mathematics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y., 1968. Also: Phys. Fluids (to appear).Google Scholar
- 8.Kirchgässner, K., Sorger, P.: Stability analysis of branching solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations. In: Proc. 12th Int. Congr. Appl. Mech., Stan-ford, Calif., 1968. Berlin/Heidelberg/New York: 1969, pp. 257–268.Google Scholar
- 11.Eckhaus, W., DiPrima, R. C., Segel, L. A.: The equations of non-linear wave-number interaction in supercritical flows (to be published).Google Scholar