Classical Conditioning of Consumatory Behaviour
The present report summarizes recent studies and presents new results relating to one aspect of the problem of conditioning influences on ingestive behaviour, namely, on the question of whether consumatory responses, or their motivational substrates, can be classically conditioned. This area has been traditionally treated in isolation from the alternative more generic theoretical and experimental approaches (e. g. Booth, 1972; LeMagnen, 1972) to the analysis of learning influences in the control of consumatory behavior.
KeywordsClassical Conditioning Cortical Spreading Depression Extinction Trial Spreading Depression Hypothalamic Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ALVAREZ-BUYLLA, R., CARRASCO-ZANINI, J. A.: Conditioned reflex which reproduces the hypoglycemic effect of insulin. Acta physiol. latinoam. 10, 153–158 (1960).Google Scholar
- ANDERSON, E. E.: The externalization of drive: III. Maze learning by non-rewarded and by satiated rats. J. genet. Psychol. 59, 397–426 (1941).Google Scholar
- BURES, J.: Reversible decortication and behavior. In: The Central Nervous System and Behavior (ed. M. A. B. BRAZIER), pp. 207–248. New York: J. Macy Jr. Foundation 1959.Google Scholar
- DOLLARD, J., MILLER, N. E.: Personality and Psychotherapy. New York: McGraw-Hill 1950.Google Scholar
- LE MAGNEN, J.: Regulation of food intake: physiologic-biochemical aspects (peripheral regulatory factors). In: Adv. psychosom. Med. 7, 73–90. Basel: Karger 1972.Google Scholar
- LICHKO, A. E.: Conditioned reflex hypoglycaemia in man. J. high. nerv. Activ. I. P. Pavlov 9, 823–829 (1959).Google Scholar
- MILLER, N. E.: Commentary. In: Brain stimulation and motivation: Research and Commentary (ed. E. S. VALENSTEIN), pp. 53–68. Glenview, Illinois: Scott, Foresman and Co. 1973.Google Scholar
- SEGURA, E.: Insulin-like conditioned hypoglycemic response in dogs. Acta physiol. latinoam. 12, 342–345 (1962).Google Scholar
- SELIGMAN, M. E. P., BRAVMAN, S., RADFORD, R.: Drinking: discriminative conditioning in the rat. Psychon. Sci. 20, 63–64 (1970).Google Scholar
- ZAKHAROV, S. V.: The problem of conditioned reflex insulin hypoglycaemia. J. high. nerv. Activ. I. P. Pavlov 10, 280–284 (1960).Google Scholar