Effect of Cyclosporin on the Function of the Proximal Tubule and Loop of Henle in the Rat Kidney
Renal toxicity is one of the major side effects of immunosuppression with cyclosporine. Apart from an almost regularly observed decrease in glomerular filtration rate (GFR), toxic alterations prevail within the proximal tubule and Henle’s loop. Although detailed descriptions of morphological defect have been published, including vacuolization of the proximal tubular cells, microcalcifications, formations of giant mitochondria together with pathologic vascular and interstitial alterations (Marbet et al. 1980; Shulman et al. 1981; Mihatsch et al. 1981, 1983), little is known about functional characteristics of the nephron segments involved (Thiel et al. 1981, 1982).
KeywordsProximal Tubule Kidney Transplant Patient Nephron Segment Tubular Fluid Cyclosporin Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Calve RY, Rolles K, White DJG, et al. (1979) Cyclosporin A initially as the only immunosuppressant in 34 recipients of cadaveric organs:32 kidneys, 2 pancreas, and 2 livers. Lancet 2:1033–1036Google Scholar
- Gutsche H-U, Müller-Suur R, Schurek HJ (1975 a) Ca-antagonist prevents feedback induced SNGFR decrease in rat kidney. Kidney Int 8:477Google Scholar
- Gutsche H-U, Müller-Suur R, Hegel U, Hierholzer K (1980) Electrical conductivity of tubular fluid of the rat nephron. Migers Arch 383:113–121Google Scholar
- Mihatsch MJ, Thief G, Loertscher R, Spichtin HP, Oberholzer M, Brunner FP, Harder F, et al. (1983) Morphological findings in kidney transplants after treatment with cyclosporin A. In: Kahan BD (ed) Cyclosporine. Biological activity and clinical applications. Grune and Stratton, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Müller-Suur R, Gutsche H-U, Hegel U (1973) Triggering factors of the tubulo-glomerular feedback. Migers Arch 343: R45Google Scholar
- Person AEG, Wright FS (1974) Reduction of glomerular filtration rate by intrarenal feedback during acetazolamide dieresis. Fed Proc 33:347Google Scholar
- Ploth DW, Rudulph J, Lagrange R, Navar LG (1978) Nephron function after converting enzyme inhibition in the rat. Proceedings of the 7th International Congress on Nephrology, Montreal, p F-9Google Scholar
- Thiel G (1983) Communication. Symposium über Cyclosporin A-Therapie bei Nierentransplantation, Med. Hochschule HannoverGoogle Scholar
- Thiel G, De Rougemont D, Torhorst J, Brunner FP (1981) Renal toxicity of cyclosporin A in the rat. Kidney Int 20:141Google Scholar
- Thiel G, Torhorst J, Brunner FP (1982) Renal toxicity of cyclosporin A in the rat. Proc Clin Dial Transplant Forum 10:62Google Scholar
- Tucker BJ, Blantz RC (1978) Inhibition of tubule-glomerular feedback induced reduction of nephron filtration rate with saralasin. Kidney Int 14:784Google Scholar