Remarks on a Question of Ericksen Concerning Elastostatic Fields of Saint-Venant Type
In an effort to understand better the relationship between approximate theories —such as those for thin rods—and the three-dimensional theory of elasticity, Ericksen [l]– has recently suggested a reconsideration of Saint-Venant’s problem for elastic cylinders with traction-free lateral surfaces. Among the various questions raised in [l]–, one concerns the structure and role of the set of all possible elastostatic fields in an infinitely long cylinder in the absence of lateral loading and body force, but in the presence of a restriction on the size of a suitable cross-sectional norm of the associated strain tensor field.
KeywordsPlane Strain Resultant Force Airy Function Linear Manifold Elastic Cylinder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. L. Ericksen, On the formulation of Saint-Venant’s problem, in Nonlinear Analysis and Mechanics: Heriot- Watt Symposium, edited by R. J. KNOPS, vol. 1, pp. 158–186, Pitman, London, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.J. L. Ericksen, Lecture 2: Problems for infinite elastic prisms; Lecture 3: Saint- Venant’s problem for elastic prisms, in Systems of Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations edited by J. M. BALL, Proceedings, NATO Advanced Study Institute, Oxford, 1982, pp. 81–93. Reidel Publishing Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.S. P. Timoshenko & J. N. Goodier, Theory of Elasticity, third edition, McGraw- Hill, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.O. Maisonneuve, Sur le principe de Saint-Venant, Thèse, Université de Poitiers, 1971.Google Scholar
- 9.G. H. Hardy, J. E. Littlewood & G. Pölya, Inequalities, second edition, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1967.Google Scholar
- 11.J. K. Knowles, On Saint-Venant’s principle in the two-dimensional linear theory of elasticity, Arch. Rational Mech. Aftal21 (1966), pp. 1–22.Google Scholar
- 12.H.-J. Mieth, Über abklingende Lösungen elliptischer Randwertprobleme (Prinzip von Saint-Venant). Dissertation, Technische Hochschule Darmstadt, 1975.Google Scholar
- 14.C. O. Horgan & J. K. Knowles, Recent developments concerning Saint-Venant’s principle, in Advances in Applied Mechanics, edited by J. W. Hutchinson & T. Y. Wu, vol. 23, pp. 179–269, Academic Press, San Diego, 1983.Google Scholar