Predictive Testing for Huntington Disease: Lessons for Other Adult Onset Disorders
Predictive testing for Huntington disease (HD) has now been offered for approximately eight years in Canada (Fox et al. 1989, Babul et al. 1993). Prior to the development of protocols for predictive testing, there were significant concerns about the impact of providing modification of risk for a disorder for which there was no treatment. It was feared that disclosure of results could have significantly adverse effects on the quality of life of participants (Perry 1981).
KeywordsHuntington Disease Predictive Testing Prenatal Testing General Severity Index Huntington Disease Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adam S, Wiggins S, Whyte P, Bloch M, Shokeir MHK, Soltan H, Meschino W, Summers A, Suchowersky 0, Welch JP, Huggins M, Theilmann J, Hayden MR (1993) Five year study of prenatal testing for Huntington disease: Demand, attitudes and psychological assessment. J Med Genet 30: 549–556PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Benjamin CB, Adam S, Wiggins S Theilmann JL, Copley TT, Bloch M, Squitier F, McKellin W, Cox S, Brown SA, Kremer HPM, Burgess M, Meshino W, Summers A, MacGregor D, Buchanan J, Greenberg C, Carson N, Hayden MR (1994) Proceed with care: direct predictive testing for Huntington disease. Am J Hum Genet 55: 606–617PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Copley T, Wiggins S, Dufrasne S, Bloch M, Adam S, McKellin W, Hayden MR and the Canadian Collaborative Study for Predictive Testing for Huntingon Disease. Are we all of one mind? Clinicians’ and patients’ opinions regarding the development of a service protocol for predictive testing for Huntington disease. Am J Med Genet, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Huggins M, Bloch M, Wiggins S, Adam S, Suchowersky 0, Trew M, Klimek M, Greenberg CR, Eleff M, Thompson LP, Knight J, MacLeod P, Girard K, Theilman J, Hedrick KA, Hayden MR (1992) Predictive testing for Huntington disease in Canada: Adverse effects and unexpected results in those receiving a decreased risk. Am J Med Gen 42: 508–515CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lam RW, Bloch M, Jones BD, Marcus AM, Fox S, Amman W, Hayden MR (1988) Psychiatric morbidity associated with preclinical testing for Huntington disease. J Clin Psych 444–447Google Scholar
- Perry TL (1984) Some ethical problems in Huntington chorea. CMAJ 125: 1098–1100Google Scholar