Towards an Intuitive 3D Interaction
Current CAD systems do not participate in the conceptual stages of design, because they are difficult to use in an intuitive way. Designers prefer to sketch manually using paper and pencil to anticipate the shape for an object. Visual representations plays the most important role in conceptual design work.
In this paper, we will present a technique that allows the designer to draw directly on the boundary of a 3D model. It is based on a gluing algorithm that converts a 2D line drawn over a 3D model displayed image to a 3D line on the model’s boundary.
Our implementation is based on 2D input devices and was developed to work within a conventional solid modeling environment. We think it can be a first step to adapt some modeling techniques to work based on direct drawing.
To make direct drawing more effective, we have chosen adequate visual cues to reinforce the user’s scene perception.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aristides A. G. Requicha, Jarek R. Rossignac: Solid Modeling and Beyond. IEEE CG&A, pp. 31–44, Vol. 12, N. 5, September 1992.Google Scholar
- Joel N. Orr: Exotic CAD. Computer Graphics World, pp. 88–92, July 1989.Google Scholar
- Emanuel Sachs, Andrew Roberts, David Stoops: 3-Draw: A Tool for Designing 3D Shapes. IEEE CG&A, pp. 18–26, Vol. 11, N. 6, November 1991.Google Scholar
- Tinsley A. Galyean, John F. Hughes: Sculpting: An Interactive Volumetric Modeling Technique. ACM SIGGRAPH’91 Conf. Proc., pp. 267–274, Vol. 25, N. 4, July 1991.Google Scholar
- Jock D. Mackinlay, Stuart K. Card, George G. Robertson: Rapid Controlled Movement Through a Virtual 3D Workspace. ACM SIGGRAPH’90 Conf. Proc., pp. 171–176, Vol. 24, N. 4, August 1990.Google Scholar
- Pat Hanrahan, Paul Haeberli: Direct WYSIWYG Painting and Texturing on 3D Shapes. ACM SIGGRAPH’90 Conf. Proc., pp. 215–223, Vol. 24, N. 4, August 1990.Google Scholar
- Leonard R. Wanger, James A. Ferwerda, Donald P. Greenberg: Perceiving Spatial Relationships in Computer-Generated Images. IEEE CG&A, pp. 44–58, Vol. 12, N. 3, May 1992.Google Scholar
- V. Branco, C. V. Carvalho, F. N. Ferreira: Improvements on 3D CAD systems for shoe design and modeling. Proc. of the Sixth CIM-Europe Annual Conference, pp. 438–447, Lisbon, Springer-Verlag, May 1990.Google Scholar
- James F. Blinn: Jim Blinn’s Corner-Me and my (Fake) Shadow. IEEE CG&A, pp. 82–86, Vol. 8, N. 1, January 1988.Google Scholar