On the Difference Between Moral and Economic Discourses
Georges Buffon in his Discours sur le style pointed out that “Cependant, tout sujet est un, et quelque vaste qu’il soit, il peut être enfermé dans un seul discours”.1 Buffon may have been thinking of God, nature, the universe, the creation, and so forth when he made this statement because these enormous subjects could be really enclosed in one single discourse. Even if ethics and economics should be regarded as less ambitious subjects, at least in comparison to those just mentioned, it seems to me, ethics and economics can not be enclosed in one single discourse. As the continuous moral criticism and refutation of the modern market economy show, bringing them together makes the frame of one single discourse break down. The man of the modernity follows at least two different discourses when he or she speaks of ethics and economics.
KeywordsPolitical Power Moral Philosophy Ethical Code Moral Discourse Moral Economy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSCOMBE, G.E.M.: „Modern moral philosophy“, in: G.E.M. ANSCOMBE: Collected Philosophical Papers, Vol. 3, Minneapolis 1981.Google Scholar
- BAUMAN, Z.: Postmodern ethics, Oxford 1993.Google Scholar
- BUFFON, G.: Essay sur le style, Paris 1916.Google Scholar
- ETZIONI, A.: The Moral Dimension. Toward a News Economics, New York, London 1988.Google Scholar
- GEORGESCU-ROEGEN, N.: The Entropy Law and the Economic Process, Cambridge 1971.Google Scholar
- JONAS, H.: The Imperative of Responsibility. In Search of Ethics for the Technological Age, Chicago 1984.Google Scholar
- JONAS, H.: Philosophical Essays, Englewood Cliffs 1974.Google Scholar
- MACINTYRE, A.: After Virtue, London 1985.Google Scholar
- MISES, L. V.: Human Action. A Treatise on Economics, Chicago 1963.Google Scholar
- ROBBINS, L.: An Essay on the Nature and the Significance of Economic Science, London 1931.Google Scholar
- SAMUELSON, P.A.: Economics, 8th ed., New York 1970.Google Scholar
- SMITH, A.: An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Vol. 2, Chicago 1976.Google Scholar