Nichtinvasive intermittierende Beatmung (NIPPV) als Brücke zur Lungentransplantation (retrospektive Analyse von 20 Patienten mit chronischen Lungenerkrankungen aus 5 deutschen Zentren)
Background: Noninvasive mechanical ventilation (NIPPV) has been used successfully for ventilator failure due to derangements of the respiratory pump. Its efficacy in pulmonary diseases is still a matter of contoversy: however, NIPPV is reported as being a means of bridging the period until lung transplantation (LTx) can be performed.
Patients and Methods: We report on 20 patients from five centers who were treated with NIPPV while awaiting LTx.
Results: NIPPV was seen as having been successful in 14 patients. Of these five have ben transplanted after up to 2 years, four are still waiting , two have not yet entered the LT program, one is still on NIPPV after refusing to be listed, and three have died in the meantime. In the group of nonsuccessful NIPPV two ere transplanted after a short waiting period. All the remaining four patients died. The course of three patients with cystic fibrosis is documented.
Conclusions: It seems that NIPPV may be prolonging the period of survival while waiting for LTx.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellon G, Mournier M, GiudicelliJ, Gerard M, Akurdi M (1992) Nasal intermittent positive pressure ventilation in cystic fibrosis. Eur Resp J10: 357 – 359Google Scholar
- 2.Baculard A, Sardet A , Boule M, Fauroux B, Tournier G (1993) Nasal intermittent positive pressure ventilation for cystic fibrosis children. Abstract 4th International Conference on Home Mechanichal Ventilation, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hodson ME, Madden BP, Steven MH, Tsang VT, Yacoub MH (1991) Non-invasive mechanical ventilation in cystis fibrosis patients - a potential bridge to transplantation,. Eur Resp J 4: 524 – 527Google Scholar
- 4.Madden BP, Siddiqi A, Moran F, Machin A, Hodson ME (1996) The role of nasal intermittent positive pressure ventilation in cystic fibrosis patients.. Eur Resp J 4:9 suppl. 23: 238Google Scholar
- 6.Robert D, Gérard M, Léger P (1983) Domiciliary ventilation by tracheostomy for chronic respiratory failure. Rev Fr Mai Resp 11: 923 – 936Google Scholar
- 7.Wiebel M, Schulz V (1994) Nichtinvasive Beatmung bei Mukoviszidose. Med Klin 89: Sondernr. I, 77 – 79Google Scholar
- 8.Wiebel M, Laier-Groeneveld G, Schönhofer B, Orth M, Karg O (1995) Nichtinvasive Selbstbeatmung - erfolgreiche Überbrückungshilfe in der Wartezeit vor Lungentransplantsation? Med Klin 90: Sondernummer i, 32 – 34Google Scholar
- 9.Wiebel M, Gehling U, Kunz J, Schulz V (1991) Die nichtinvasive intermittierende Selbstbeatmung, ein neues Verfahren in der Therapie der chronischen respiratorischen Insuffizienz. Z f H T G Chir 5: 178 – 184Google Scholar
- 10.Yacoub M H, Banner N R, Kaghani A, Fitzgerald M, Madden BP, Tsang V,. Radley-Smith, Hodson M E (1990) Combined heart and lung transplantation for cystic fibrosis and subsequent “Domino” cardiac transplantation,. J Heart Transplantation 9: 459 – 467Google Scholar