In quantum-mechanical terms, the cyclotron and electron-spin resonances originate from optical transitions of carriers between the Landau levels and magneticfield-splitted spin sublevels. Measurement of the dependence of the cyclotronresonance frequency on the magnitude and direction of magnetic field provides a direct and reliable way for determining the electron (or hole) effective mass, as well as for studying the nonparabolicity and nonsphericity of an electronic band in a semiconductor. In connection with this, we derive in Sec. 7.1 expressions for the longitudinal and transverse electron mass in a superlattice at the miniband bottom, analyze how the choice of the boundary conditions for the envelopes at the interfaces affects these masses, and discuss the nonparabolicity of the miniband spectrum.
KeywordsCyclotron Resonance Landau Level Intersubband Transition Velocity Operator Intraband Transition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.1N.F. Gashimzade, E.L. Ivchenko: Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 25, 323 (1991) [Sov. Phys. - Semicond. 25, 195 (1991)]Google Scholar
- 7.4C. Hermann, C. Weisbuch: In Optical Orientation ed. by F. Meier, B.P. Zak- harchenya (North-Holand, Amsterdam 1984) p.463Google Scholar
- 7.6E.L. Ivchenko, A.A. Kiselev: Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 26, 1471 (1992) [Sov. Phys. - Semicond. 26, 827 (1992)]Google Scholar
- Bass F., V.A. Lykakh, A.P. Tetervov: Cyclotron resonance in a semiconductor with superlattice. Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 14, 2314 (1980) [Sov. Phys. - Semicond. 14, 1372 (1980)]Google Scholar
Electron Spin Resonance, g-Factor
- Hermann C., C. Weisbuch: Optical detection of conduction electron spin resonance in semiconductors and its application tokp perturbation theory. In Optical Orientation, ed. by F. Meier, B.P. Zakharchenya (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1984) p.463Google Scholar
Intersubband Transitions and IR Spectroscopy
- Berezhkovskii A.M., R.A. Suris: Absorption of electromagnetic radiation by carriers in semiconductors with a superlattice in the transverse magnetic field. Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 18, 1224 (1984) [Sov. Phys. - Semicond. 18, 764 (1984)]Google Scholar
- Golub L.E., E.L. Ivchenko, R.Ya. Rasulov: Intersubband absorption of light in quantum wells for semiconductors with the complicated band structure. Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 29, 1093 (1995) [Semiconductors 29, 566 (1995)]Google Scholar