Regulation and Tariff Policies in the Energy and Telecommunications Sectors in the Transition Countries: The Case of the Czech Republic
- 32 Downloads
The transition in the Czech Republic is characterised by wide-spread liberalisation and privatisation. These processes bring a necessity for new regulation structures. This paper describes briefly the situation in the energy and telecommunications sectors, and the state of regulation with a emphasis on tariffs. Each sector has its own particular problems and requires careful regulatory reforms. The paper explores these problems and comments on recent regulatory changes. The paper commences with section 2 describing the features of the energy sector. Section 3 concentrates on price regulation and the design of tariffs in the energy sector. Section 4 analyses the characteristics of the telecommunications sector. Section 5 describes theregulatory environment and the development of tariffs in telecommunications. Section 6 provides a brief comparison of the regulatory positions in the selected CEC and EU countries. Section 7 presents conclusions.
KeywordsCzech Republic Systemic Transformation Energy Price Energy Sector Purchase Power Parity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DOYLE, C., HRUBCÝ, Z., MÜLLER, J. (1993), Czech Telecommunications and Transition: How fast and what form should deregulation take?, Cambridge: Department of Applied Economics, University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- DOYLE, C., HRUBÝ, Z. (1992), Czech Telecommunications: Bureaucratic Bungling Amid Constitutional Change, Stuttgart: Paper presented at ITS European Regional Meeting.Google Scholar
- HESOUN, F. (1994), Liberalisation, Regulation and Telecommunication Market in the Czech Republic, Praha: Mimeo.Google Scholar
- HRUBÝ, Z. (1994), Regulation and Tariff Policies in the Energy and Telecommunications Sectors: The Case of the Czech Republic, London: Paper presented to the conference Regulation of Utilities in Economies in Transition, London Business School.Google Scholar
- HRUBÝ, Z., Mobile Telecommunications: The Czech Republic, in: Schenk, K.- E., ed. (1994), Mobile Telecommunications in Western and Central-Eastern Europe: Integrative and Institutional Dimensions, Norwood, Massachusetts: Artech House. Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- HRUBý, Z. (1992), Telecommunications Investment and Tariff Policy in the CSFR, Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- HRUBÝ, Z. (1992), Telekomunikacm infrastruktura v CSFR, Praha: Prognosticky üstav CSAV.Google Scholar
- LEITE, A. P. N., LUCENA, D., SEABRA, C. (1994), The Design of Regulatory Institutions in the European Union, Lisbon: Paper presented to the Utilities Regulation Network Conference.Google Scholar
- SUK, J. (1994), Price Regulation in the Energy Sector: The Czech Republic, Lisbon: Paper presented to Utilities Regulation Network Meeting.Google Scholar
- Telecommunications of the Czech Republic: Information (1994), Praha: Ministry of Economy of the Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Telecommunications: Pressures and Policies for Change (1993), Paris: OECD.Google Scholar