MR-Guided Biopsy of the Abdomen
The excellent soft tissue contrast of MRI, its multiplanar imaging capabilities, and detailed delineation of anatomic features gave rise to the concept of MR-guided biopsy. The first attempt to realize this idea was reported by Mueller et al. (1986), who described phantom trials for needle visualization, as well as MR-guided aspiration biopsies of liver masses. Other groups followed with applications in the head and neck, but also in the abdomen, musculoskeletal system, and breast (Lufkin et al. 1987,1988; Lufkin and Layfield 1989; van Sonnenberg et al. 1988; Duckwiler et al. 1989; Pitt et al. 1993; Greenstein Orel et al. 1994). The first specially designed commercially available aspiration biopsy needle was developed and introduced by Lufkin et al. in 1987.
KeywordsTarget Lesion Adrenal Mass Sagittal Slice Needle Position Angle Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Greenstein Orel S, Schnall MD, Newman RW, Powell CM, Torosian MH, Rosato EF (1994) MR imaging-guided localization and biopsy of breast lesions: initial experience. Radiology 193:97–102Google Scholar
- Lee H, Lu DSK, Farahani K, Krasny RM (1996) Biopsies of hepatic dome lesions: semi-real time coronal MR guidance technique, (abstract) Proceedings of the 4th Scientific Meeting and Exhibition of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, New York, p 889Google Scholar
- Lewin JS, Duerk JL, Petersilge CA, et al (1996) Interactive MRI for procedure guidance on a clinical c-arm system: A pilot biopsy study, (abstract) Proceedings of the 4th Scientific Meeting and Exhibition of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, New York, p 53Google Scholar
- Lufkin R, Teresi L, Hanafee W (1987) New needle for MR-guided aspiration cytology of the head and neck. Am J Roentgenol 149:380–382Google Scholar
- Lufkin R, Teresi L, Chiu L, Hanafee W (1988) A technique for MR-guided needle placement. Am J Roentgenol 151:193–196Google Scholar
- Mack MG, Vogl TJ, Balzer JO, Hammerstingl R, Pegios W, Lobbeck H, Felix R (1997) MR-guided biopsies of soft tissue tumors on a conventional high-field MR-system. (abstract) Eur Radiol 7 [Suppl]: S188Google Scholar
- van Sonnenberg E, Wittenberg J, Ferrucci JT, Mueller PR, Simeone JF (1981) Triangulation method for percutaneous needle guidance: the angled approach to upper abdominal masses. Am J Roentgenol 137:757–761Google Scholar
- van Sonnenberg E, Hajek P, Gylys-Morin V, et al (1988) A wire-sheath system for MR-guided biopsy and drainage: laboratory studies and experience in 10 patients. Am J Roentgenol 151:815–817Google Scholar