Traffic Sign Recognition Revisited
The first part of this paper provides an overview of previous work on traffic sign recognition. Various components are discussed, such as detection, classification and temporal integration. The second part of this paper covers a recently developed shape-based system, based on distance transforms. This system has been quite successful in detecting and recognizing traffic signs in real-time; we report single-image recognition rates of above 90% in preliminary experiments both offline as on-board our demo vehicle.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. de la Escalera, L. Moreno, M. Salichs, and J. Armingol. Road traffic sign detection and classification.IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 44 (6), 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.M. de Saint Blancard. Road Sign Recognition: A Study of Vision-based Decision Making for Road Environment Recognition, chapter 7. Springer Verlag, 1991. Google Scholar
- 6.D. Gavrila. Multi-feature template matching using distance transforms. In International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pages 439–444, Brisbane, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Gavrila and V. Philomin. Real-time object detection for “smart” vehicles. In Submitted to International Conference on Computer Vision 1999 Google Scholar
- 8.U. Handman et al. An image processing system for driver assistance. In Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Conference, pages 481 - 486, Stuttgart, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Janssen, W. Ritter, F.Stein, and S. Ott. Hybrid approach for traffic sign recognition. In Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Conference, pages 390–395, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.N.Kehtarnavaz and A. Ahmad. Traffic sign recognition in noisy outdoor scenes. In IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Vehicles, pages 460–465, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.U. Kressel, F. Lindner, C. Wöhler, and A. Linz. Hypothesis verification based on classification at unequal error rates. In Submitted to ICANN, 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Priese, R. Lakmann, and V. Rehmann. Automatische verkehrszeichenerken- nung mittels echtzeit-farbbildanalyse (in german). Automatisierungstechnik, 45 (12), 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.P. Seitz, G. K. Lang, B. Gilliard, and J.C. Pandazis. The robust recognition of traffic signs from a moving car. In Proc. 13th DAGM Symposium on pattern recognition, pages 287–294, 1991.Google Scholar