China in a State of Flux
- 41 Downloads
This paper offers some background thoughts on recent changes in China, seen from a spatial and transportation viewpoint. It calls attention to a great many uncertainties involved in depicting the future of the Chinese spatial economy and argues that scenario analysis is a meaningful research strategy for coping with an uncertain future. The paper then sets out to explain a systematic approach to scenario analysis and the design of future images. The paper concludes with a multicriteria analysis of various possible spatial development trajectories in China.
KeywordsScenario Analysis Transport Sector Civil Aviation Transport Policy Multicriteria Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dreborg, K., L. Hedberg, P. Steen, and J. Akerman, Images of Future Transport in Europe, Paper POSSUM project, DG VII, European Commission, Brussels, 1997Google Scholar
- Hey, C., P. Nijkamp, S. Rienstra, and D. Rothenberger, Multicriteria Scenario Models for Sustainable Transportation and Regional Development, Transport Networks in Europe (M. Beuthe and P. Nijkamp, eds.), Avebury, Aldershot, 1997Google Scholar
- Huang, H.J., and Chen, L-Y, Prospects of China’s Transportation System, AIBSEAR f94 (Proceedings of the 10th Academy of International Business), Beijing, 1994, pp. 677-682Google Scholar
- Kim, T.J., and G. Knaap, The Spatial Dispersion of Economic Activities and Developments Trends in China, Paper European RSA Conference, Rome, August 1997Google Scholar
- Klotz, S., and C. Knoth, Regional Impacts of the Open Door Policy in the PR of China, Paper European RSA Conference, Rome, August 1997Google Scholar
- Massey, D.W., D. Shaw, and P.J.B. Brown, Economic Imperatives vs. Environmental Quality in the Dragon’s Head, Working Paper 56, Dept. of Civic Design, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, 1996Google Scholar
- Nijkamp, P., P. Rietveld and H. Voogd, Multicriteria Analysis for Physical Planning, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1993Google Scholar
- Nijkamp, P., S. Rientstra and J. Vleugel, Transportation Planning & the Future, John Wiley, Chichester, 1997Google Scholar
- Nijkamp, P., Maritime Sector Perspectives of the Pacific Rim, Studies in Regional Science, vol.12, 1995, pp. 312–323Google Scholar
- Nijkamp, P., N. Vermond, Scenarios on Opportunities and Impediments in the Asian Pacific Rim, Studies in Regional Science, vol. 13, 1996, pp. 1–46Google Scholar