Dendritic Cells and Langerhans Cells in the Uptake of Mucosal Antigens
- 146 Downloads
Dendritic cells (DC) represent heterogenous populations of bone marrow-derived cells that have central roles in the initiation and regulation of immune responses (reviewed in Steinman 1991). The cells under consideration are quite distinct from the follicular DCs found in B-cell areas of lymphoid tissues. It is, however, now clear that there is not a single DC lineage, but that cells with DC properties may arise from at least three lineages and can exist in different states of maturation and activation. The relationships between these lineages and their functional significance in immune responses are far from clear.
KeywordsDendritic Cell Simian Immunodeficiency Virus Mixed Lymphocyte Reaction Major Histocompatability Complex Dendritic Cell Migration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Everson MP, McDuffie DS, Lemak DG, Koopman WJ, McGhee JR, Beagley KW, et al. (1996) Dendritic cells from diiferent tissues induce production of different T cell cytokine profiles. J Leukoc Biol 1996 Apr, 59(4):494–498Google Scholar
- Fayette J, Dubois B, Vandenabeele S, Bridon JM, Vanbervliet B, Durand I, Banchereau J, Caux C, Briere F, et al. (1997) Human dendritic cells skew isotype switching of CD40-activated naive B cells towards IgA 1 and IgA2. J Exp Med. 1997 Jun 2, 185(11): 1909–1918Google Scholar
- Hamilton Easton A, Eichelberger M (1995) Virus-specific antigen presentation by different subsets of cells from lung and mediastinal lymph node tissues of influenza virus-infected mice. J Virol 69:6359–6366Google Scholar
- Mahidu YR, Wu KC, Jewell DP (1988) Characterization of antigen-presenting activity of intestinal mononuclear cells isolated from normal and inflammatory bowel disease colon and ileum. Immunology 65:543–549Google Scholar
- Marie I, Holt PG, Perdue MH, Bienenstock J (1996) Class II MHC antigen (Ia)-bearing dendritic cells in the epithelium of the rat intestine. J Immunol 156:1408–1414Google Scholar
- Pinehuk LM, Klaus SJ, Magaletti DM, et al. (1996) Functional CD40 ligand expressed by human blood dendritic cells is up-regulated by CD40 ligation. J Immunol 157:4363–4370Google Scholar
- Sallusto F, Cella M, Danieli C, Lanzavecchia A (1995) Dendritic cells use macropinocytosis and the man nose receptor to concentrate macromolecules in the major histocompatibility complex class II compartment: downregulation by cytokines and bacterial products (comments). J Exp Med 182:389–400PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yolfey JM, Courtice C (1970) Lymphatics, lymph and the lymphomyeloid complex. Academic Press, New York, pp 548Google Scholar