In Situ Settling Velocities and Concentrations of Suspended Sediment in Spill Plumes, Øresund, Denmark
The fixed link between Denmark and Sweden, the Øresund Link, consists of a combination of a double-track railroad and a four-lane highway. Starting on the Danish side, the link begins with a tunnel section, then crosses an artificial island and ends with a high bridge crossing the Sound to Sweden (The Feedback Monitoring Programme for the Fixed Link Across Øresund 1997). The link facilitates road and sea traffic between the two countries, thereby promoting the social and economic growth of the Øresund region. Strict environmental considerations accompany the construction of the Øresund complex. In no manner whatsoever are the construction activities allowed to influence and thereby modify the natural physical, chemical and biological environment of the adjacent Baltic Sea. During the building phase, only short-term environmental damage is allowed, provided it is restricted to areas close to the construction sites.
KeywordsTurbidity Settling Flocculation Chalk Dian
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Knudsen C, Lomholt S (1997) The Oresund Link: Recognition of fine-grained sediments from excavation activities - pilot study -. Danmarks og Gronlands Geologiske Undersogelse, Rapport 1997 /114Google Scholar
- Kuijpers A, Larsen B, Nielsen PE (1991) Surface sediments in the Danish part of the Sound. DGU Map Series no. 26, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- Bernitt L, Simonsen J (1997) Hindcast no.9.FeedbackMonitoring DHI/7783/90 0269, Oresundskonsortiet, Technical reportGoogle Scholar
- Madsen PP, Larsen B (1986) Accumulation of mud sediments and trace metals in the Kattegat and the Belt Sea. Report of Marine Pollution Laboratory no. io. Charlottenlund, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- Pejrup M, Larsen B (1994) Natural sediment transport through Oresund.DHI/717o, Oresundskonsortiet, Technical reportGoogle Scholar
- The Feedback Monitoring Programme for the Fixed Link Across Oresund (1997) DHI/7783–8, Oresundskonsortiet, Technical reportGoogle Scholar
- Valeur JR, Pejrup M, Jensen A (1996) Particle dynamics in the Sound between Denmark and Sweden. ASCE Conference Proceedings, Coastal Dynamics`95: International Conference on Coastal Research in Terms of Large-Scale Experiments, pp 951–962Google Scholar