Simulation of Gravity Flow of Granular Materials in Silos
The problem of determining the steady state flow of granular materials in silos under the action of gravity is considered. In the case of a Mohr-Coulomb material, the stress equations correspond to a system of hyperbolic conservation laws with source terms and nonlinear boundary conditions. A higher order Discontinuous Galerkin method is proposed and implemented for the numerical resolution of those equations. The efficiency of the approach is illustrated by the computation of the stress fields induced in silos with sharp changes of the wall angle.
KeywordsGranular Material Stress Equation Discontinuous Galerkin Method Granular Flow Radial Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gremaud, P.A., Matthews, J.V.: On the computation of hopper flows. In preparation.Google Scholar
- 4.Gremaud, P.A., Matthews, J.V., Shearer, M.: Similarity solutions for granular flows in hoppers. Proceedings of the SIAM/AMS Conference on Nonlinear PDEs, Dynamics and Continuum Physics, J. Bona, K. Saxton, R. Saxton, Eds., (1998), AMS Contemporary Mathematics Series, to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.Gremaud, P.A., Schaeffer, D., Shearer, M.: Numerical determination of flow corrective inserts for granular materials in conical hoppers. To be published in Int. J. Nonlinear Mech.Google Scholar
- 6.Jenike, A.: Gravity flows of bulk solids. Bulletin No. 108, vol. 52, Utah Eng. Expt. Station, University of Utah, Salt Lake City (1961)Google Scholar
- 11.Royal, A.T.: Private communication. Jenike & Johanson, Inc. (1998).Google Scholar