An ELLAM Scheme for Porous Medium Flows
An Eulerian-Lagrangian localized adjoint method (ELLAM) is presented for coupled systems of fluid flow processes occurring in porous media with point sources and sinks. The ELLAM scheme symmetrizes the governing transport equation, greatly eliminates non-physical oscillation and/or excessive numerical dispersion present in many large-scale simulators widely used in industrial applications. It can treat large mobility ratios, discontinuous permeabilities and porosities, anisotropic dispersion in tensor form, and point sources and sinks. It also conserves mass. Numerical experiments are presented. The relationship between ELLAM and discontinuous Galerkin methods (DGMs), and the possibility of developing a hybrid ELLAM-DGM scheme are discussed.
KeywordsTrial Function Discontinuous Galerkin Method Reservoir Simulation Mobility Ratio Local Truncation Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bear, J.: Hydraulics of Groundwater. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979Google Scholar
- 6.Ewing, R.E. (ed.): The Mathematics of Reservoir Simulation, Research Frontiers in Applied Mathematics. 1, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1984Google Scholar
- 7.Ewing, R.E., Russell, T.F., Wheeler, M.F.: Simulation of miscible displacement using mixed methods and a modified method of characteristics. SPE 12241 (1983) 71–81Google Scholar
- 9.LeSaint, P., Raviart, P.A.: On a finite element method for solving the neutron transport equation. DeBoor, C. (ed.), Mathematics Aspects of Finite Elements in Partial Differential Equations, Academic Press, (1974) 89–123Google Scholar
- 10.Morton, K.W., Priestley. A., Süli, E.: Stability of the Lagrangian-Galerkin method with nonexact integration. RAIRO M2AN 22 (1988) 123–151Google Scholar
- 11.Peaceman, D.W.: Fundamentals of Numerical Reservoir Simulation. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1977Google Scholar
- 12.Reed, W.H., Hill, T.R.: Triangular mesh methods for the neutron transport equation. Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory Report LA-UR-73–479, 1973Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, H., Dahle, H.K., Ewing, R.E., Espedal, M.S., Sharpley, R.C., Man, S.: An Eulerian-Lagrangian localized adjoint method for advection-dispersion equations in two dimensions and its comparison to other schemes. SIAM J. Sci. Comp. (in press)Google Scholar