Free Boundary Problems and their Stabilisation
Free boundary problems (FBPs) are those in which some partial differential equations have to be solved in a region with a boundary whose position is to be found as part of the problem. This article will briefly review some of the theory and folklore concerning such problems and their stabilisation with the aim of highlighting the major open problems that currently confront mathematicians working in the area. It is a subject with which Prof. Hoffmann has been intimately involved over the past three decades and it is a pleasure to acknowledge the contributions he has made to our understanding of problems ranging from the Stefan problem, which created so much excitement in the 1970’s, to FBPs in superconductivity which are currently ”all the rage”. Of course I must also include Prof. Hoffmann’s involvement with the more political applications of ”les frontières libres”.
KeywordsVortex Welding Enthalpy Brittle Vorticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ockendon, J.R., Howison, S.D., Lacey, A.A., Movchan, A.B.: Applied Partial Differential Equations.Oxford University Press, 1999Google Scholar
- 3.Hou, T.Y., Si, H.: Numerical Study of Hele-Shaw Flow with Suction. Prepint, 1998Google Scholar
- 10.Moore, D.W.: The Spontaneous Appearance of a Singularity in an Evolving Vortex Sheet. Proc. R. Soc. London. A 3 6 5 (1979), 105–119Google Scholar
- 12.Caxpio, A., Chapman, S.J., Howison, S.D.: Dynamics of Line Singularities . Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London 3 5 5 (1997), 2013–2024Google Scholar
- 14.Hirsch, J.P., Lothe, J.: Theory of Dislocations. Wiley, 1982Google Scholar
- 20.Freund, L.B.: Dynamic Fracture Mechanics. Cambridge University Press, 1990Google Scholar
- 22.Friedman, A., Bei Hu Velazquez, J.J.: Propagation of Cracks in Elastic Media. Preprint, 1999Google Scholar
- 23.Richardson, G., Stoth, B.: Ill-Posedness of the Mean-Field Model of Superconducting Vortices and the Regularisation thereof. Euro. J. Appl. Math., (2000), to appearGoogle Scholar
- 24.Rogers, J.C.W., Szymezak, W.G.: Computation of Violent Surface Motions: Comparisons with Theory and Experiment . Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London. A355(1997), 649–664Google Scholar