Hyperglycaemia as Cardiovascular Risk in Type 2 Diabetes
Cardiovascular disease is responsible for approximately 70% of all causes of death in type 2 diabetes (Laakso and Lehto 1997). Among cardiovascular diseases ischemic cardiopathy represents the primary cause of death, since mortality rates for coronary artery disease (CHD) are 2–4 times greater in diabetics than in non diabetic individuals (Haffner et al. 1998). Cerebrovascular events are the second cause of death in patients with type 2 diabetes.
KeywordsCholesterol Permeability Migration Europe Foam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coutinho M, Gerstein HC, Wang Y, Yusuf S (1999) The relationship between glucose and incident cardiovascular events. A metaregression analysis of published data from 20 studies of 95,783 individuals followed for 12.4 years. Diabetes Care 22:233–40 Will new diagnostic criteria for diabetes mellitus change phenotype of patients with diabetes? Reanalysis of European epidemiological data. DECODE Study Group on behalf of the European Diabetes Epidemiology Study Group (1998) BMJ 317:371–5.Google Scholar
- Glucose tolerance and mortality: comparison of WHO and American Diabetes Association diag¬nostic criteria. The DECODE study group. European Diabetes Epidemiology Group. Diabetes Epidemiology: Collaborative analysis Of Diagnostic criteria in Europe (1999) Lancet 354:617–21.Google Scholar
- Garcia MJ, McManara PM, Gordon T, Kannel WB (1983) Morbidity and mortality in diabetics in the Framingham population. Diabetes 23:336–341.Google Scholar
- Kuusisto J, Mykkanen L, Pyorala K, Laakso M (1994) Non-insulin-dependent diabetes and its metabolic control are important predictors of stroke in elderly subjects. Stroke 25:1157–64 International Collaborative Group (1979) Asymptomatic hyperglycemia and coronary artery disease: a series of papers by the International Collaborative Group based on studies in fifteen populations. J Chronic Dis 32:829–837.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Laakso M and Lehto S (1997) Epidemiology of macrovascular disease in diabetes. Diabetes Rev 5:294–315.Google Scholar
- Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, Pyorala K, Laakso M (1996) Predictors of stroke in middle-aged patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes. Stroke 27:63–8.Google Scholar
- Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, Haffner SM, Pyorala K, Kallio V, Laakso M (1997) Dyslipidemia and hyperglycemia predict coronary heart disease events in middle-aged patients with NIDDM. Diabetes 46:1354–9.Google Scholar
- Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group (1998). Lancet 352:837–53.Google Scholar
- Uusitupa MI, Niskanen LK, Siitonen O, Voutilainen E, Pyorala K Ten-year cardiovascular mortality in relation to risk factors and abnormalities in lipoprotein composition in type 2 (non- insulin-dependent) diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. Diabetologia 36:1175–84.Google Scholar