Direct Numerical Simulations of Turbulent Boundary Layers on High Performance Computers
Direct Numerical Simulations (DNS) of turbulent zero pressure gradient boundary layers have been performed on two high performance computers with different architectures. The one, a Cray T3E-900, is a massively parallel computer (HLRS computing center, Stuttgart/Germany). The other, a Fujitsu VPP700, is a Vector-parallel computer (Leibniz Computing Center, Munich/Germany). Both computers are well suited for large-scale flow computations. For the first time a DNS with a locally refined grid near the wall has been applied for spatially developing flows. This approach leads to considerable savings of computational time compared to a full grid simulation.
KeywordsLarge Eddy Simulation Direct Numerical Simulation Turbulent Boundary Layer Coarse Grid Fine Grid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C.W. Hirt, B.D. Nichols, and N.C. Romero. Sola — a numerical solution algorithm for transient fluid flows. In Los Alamos Sci. Lab., Los Alamos, 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.C.J. Jiménez-Härtel. Analyse und Modellierung der Feinstruktur im wandnahen Bereich turbulenter Scherströmungen. PhD thesis, Technische Universität München, DLR-Forschungsbericht 94–22, München, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.T.S. Lund, X. Wu, and K.D. Squires. On the generation of turbulent inflow conditions for boundary layer simulations. In Annual Research Briefs - 1996, pages 281–295. Center for turbulence research, Stanford, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Manhart. Zonal direct numerical simulation of turbulent plane channel flow. In R. Friedrich and P. Bontoux, editors, Computation and visualization of three-dimensional vortical and turbulent flows. Proceedings of the Fifth CNRS/DFG Workshop on Numerical Flow Simulation, volume 64 of Notes on Numerical Fluid Mechanics. Vieweg Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Werner and H. Wengle. Large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow over and around a cube in a plate channel. In F. Durst et al., editors, Turbulent Shear Flows 8, Berlin, 1993. Springer.Google Scholar