Visual Investigation of Boiling Phenomena in CHF Subcooled Flow Boiling
The present work collects the main results obtained in an experimental research carried out at the laboratories of the National Institute of Thermal-Fluid Dynamics of ENEA. A photographic study of the burnout in highly subcooled flow boiling has been performed, in order to get a detailed description of the flow pattern under different conditions of boiling regime: ONB (onset of nucleate boiling), subcooled flow boiling and thermal crisis. In particular, the flow visualisation is focused on the phenomena occurring on the heated wall during the thermal crisis up to the physical burnout of the heater.
KeywordsHeat Flux Wall Temperature Bubble Size Vapour Bubble Critical Heat Flux
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergles AE, Rohsenow WM (1963), The Determination of Forced Convection Surface Boiling Heat Transfer, Proc. ASME-AIChE US NationalHeat Transfer Conference, Paper 63-HT-22, Boston, 11–14 AugustGoogle Scholar
- Fiori MP, Bergles AE (1970), Model of Critical Heat Flux in Subcooled Flow Boiling, 4th Int. Heat Transfer Conf., Paris-Versailles, Vol. 4, B 6.3Google Scholar
- Günther FC (1951), Photographic Study of Surface-Boiling Heat Transfer to Water With Forced Convection, ASME J. Heat Transfer, 73:115–121Google Scholar
- Jens WJ, Lottes PA (1951), Analysis of Heat Transfer Burnout, Pressure Drop and Density Data for High Pressure Water, ANL Report, ANL-4727Google Scholar
- Kirby GJ, Stainforth R, Kinneir JH (1965), A Visual Study of Forced Convection Boiling. Part 1. Results for a Flat Vertical Heater, Atomic Energy Establishment Winfrith, AEEW—R 281Google Scholar
- Kirby GJ, Stainforth R, Kinneir JH (1967a) An Investigation into a Possible Mechanism of Subcooled Burnout, Atomic Energy Establishment Winfrith, AEEW—M 725Google Scholar
- Kirby GJ, Stainforth R, Kinneir JH (1967b), A Visual Study of Forced Convection Boiling. Part 2. Flow Patterns and Burnout for a Round Test, Atomic Energy Establishment Winfrith, AEEW—R 506Google Scholar
- Mattson RJ, Hammitt FG, Tong LS (1973), A Photographic Study of the Subcooled Flow Boiling Crisis in Freon 113, ASME-AICHE Heat Transfer Conference, Atlanta, August 5–8Google Scholar
- Thorn JRS, Walker WM, Fallon TA, Reising GFS (1965), Boiling in Subcooled Water During Flow Up Heated Tubes or Annuli, Proc. Symp. Boiling Heat Transfer in Steam Generation Units and Heat Exchangers, Manchester, Paper 6Google Scholar
- Touron H (1985), Initial Design Equation for 316L Austenitic Steel, Final Report N. 169/84-9/FU/NET, CEAGoogle Scholar
- van der Molen SB, Galjee FWBM (1978), The Boiling Mechanism During Burnout Phenomena in Subcooled Two-Phase Water Flows, Heat Transfer 1978, paper FB-19, pp. 381–385Google Scholar