Selected Applications of Bioremediation in Hazardous Waste Treatment
Environmental contamination usually consists of a mixture of dangerous chemicals which, to be degraded, will require a complex ecosystem of microbes. While none of the individual member species of this ecosystem are generally capable of decomposing all of the components of the mixed pollution, the concerted action of various species can potentially bring about the desired cleanup effect.
KeywordsMethane Fermentation Sludge Hydrocarbon Nitrite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benstead J, Archer DB, Lloyd D (1990) Role of hydrogen in the growth of mutualistic methanogenic cultures. In: Microbiology and Biochemistry of Strict Anaerobes Involved in Interspecies Transfer (Eds. Belaich JP, Bruschi M, Garcia JL) pg. 161.Google Scholar
- Bowman JP, Jimenez L, Rosario I, Hazen TC, Sayler GS (1993) Characterization of the methanotrophic bacterial community in a trichloroethylene-contaminated subsurface groundwater site. Appl Env Microbiol 59: 2380–2387.Google Scholar
- Feigel BJ, Knackmuss HJ (1991) Degradation of sulfanilic acid by a Syntropic culture. Sulfanilic acid degradation to maleylacetic acid by Pseudomonas paileronii and Agrobacterium radiobacter mixed culture. Ind Waste Disposal M1: 125.Google Scholar
- Goszcynsky S, Paszcynski A, Pasti-Grigsby MB, Crawford RL, Crawford DL (1994) New pathway for degradation of sulfonated azo dyes by microbial peroxidases of Phanerochaeta chrysosporium and Streptomyces chromofuscus. J Bacteriol 176: 1339–1347.Google Scholar
- Hall JE, L’Hermite P, Newman PJ (1992) Treatment and use of sewage sludge and liquid agricultural wastes. ECSC-EEC-EAEC Brussels, ISBN 92-826-4142-2.Google Scholar
- Hutchins SR, Biodegradation of monoaromatic hydrocarbons by aquifer microorganisms using oxygen, nitrate, or nitrous oxide as the terminal electron acceptor. Appl Env Microbiol 57: 2403-2407.Google Scholar
- Kovacs KL, Polyak B (1991) Hydrogenase reactions and utilization of hydrogen in biogas production and microbiological denitrification systems. Proc 4th IGT Symp, Colorado Springs, Chapter 5, pp 1-16.Google Scholar
- Locher HH, Leirsinger T, Cook AM (1991) 4-toluene sulfonate methyl-monooxygenase from Comamonas testosteroni T-2: purification and some properties of the oxygenase component. J Bacteriol 173: 3741–3748.Google Scholar
- Lowe SE, Jain MK, Zeikus JG (1993) Biology, ecology, and biotechnological applications of anaerobic bacteria adapted to environmental stresses in temperature, pH, salinity, or substrates. Microbiol Rev 57: 451–509.Google Scholar
- Mohn WW, Tiedje JM (1992) Microbial reductive dehalogenation. Microbial Rev 56: 482–507.Google Scholar
- Murrell JC, Dalton H (1992) Methane and methanol utilizers. Plenum Press, New York, ISBN 0-306-43878-X.Google Scholar
- Tsien HC, Brusseau GA, Brusseau RS, Hanson RS, Wackett L (1989) Biodegradation of trichloroethylene by Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b. Appl Env Microbiol 55: 2960–2964.Google Scholar