Application of ISO 3951 Acceptance Sampling Plans to the Inspection by Variables in Statistical Process Control (SPC)
A new approach to SPC which utilises acceptance sampling plans for inspection by variables from the International Standard ISO 3951 is proposed. It may be used as an alternative to Shewhart control charts or to Freund’s acceptance control charts. The proposed new SPC procedure enables the process fraction nonconforming to be kept under control when the process standard deviation is unknown. A simple method for a cost-optimal design of this procedure is also proposed. It allows an appropriate sampling plan and an approximately optimal sampling interval to be found.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.von Collani E. (1986) A Simple Procedure to Determine the Economic Design of an X—Control Chart. Journal of Quality Technology 18, 145–151Google Scholar
- 4.Ho, C., Case, K.E. (1994) Economic Design of Control Charts: A Literature Review for 1981–1991. Journal of Quality Technology2639–53Google Scholar
- 5.Hryniewicz O. (1992) Approximately Optimal Economic Process Control for a General Class of Control Procedures. In: Lenz H.J., Wetherill B., Wilrich P.T. (Eds.) Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control IV, Physica VerlagGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hryniewicz O. (1989) The Performance of Differently Designed p—Control Charts in the Presence of Shifts of Unexpected Size. Economic Quality Control 4 10–21Google Scholar
- 7.Hryniewicz O. (1999) Simple Method for the Design of Optimal Inspection Procedures. (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 8.International Standard ISO 2859–1, Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Attributes - Part 1: Sampling Schemes Indexed by Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) for Lot-by-lot InspectionGoogle Scholar
- 9.Draft International Standard ISO/DIS 3951–1: 1998 (E), Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Variables for Percent Nonconforming - Part 1: Introductory Specification for Single Sampling Plans Indexed by Acceptance Quality Limit (AQL) for Lot-by-lot Inspection - Single Quality Characteristic and Single AQLGoogle Scholar
- 10.International Standard ISO 7966 (1993) (E), Acceptance Control ChartsGoogle Scholar
- 11.International Standard ISO 8258 (1991) (E), Shewhart Control ChartsGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shewhart W.A. (1931) Economic Control of Quality of Manufactured Product. D. Van Nostrand, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wetherill G.B., Brown D.W. (1991) Statistical process Control. Theory and Practice. Chapman and Hall, LondonGoogle Scholar