Gene Protecting against Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Age-related macular degeneration (ARMD) is the most common cause of blindness in the elderly in Europe and in the United States ARMD is a multifactorial disease process corresponding to a thinning or scarring of the center of the retina, the macula. Some risk factors that have been associated with ARMD include less skin pigmentation, cigarette smoking, systemic hypertension, low intake of antioxidants and family history The main clinical retinal markers of ARMD are drusen, which are composed of protein and lipid deposits within the Bruch’s membrane.
KeywordsStargardt Disease Thrifty Genotype Basal Laminar Deposit Familial Aggregation Study Multifactorial Disease Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bird AC, Bressler NM, Bressler SB, Chisholm IH, Cos cas G, Davis MD, de Jong PT, Klaver CC, Klein BE, Klein R (1995) An international classification and grading system for age-related maculopathy and age-related macular degeneration. The International ARM Epidemiological Study Group. Surv Ophthalmol 39:367–374PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davignon J, Gregg RE, Sing CF (1988) Apolipoprotein E polymorphism and atherosclerosis Arteriosclerosis 8: 1–21Google Scholar
- Klaver CC, Wolfs RC, Assink JJ, van Duijn CM, Hofman A, de Jong PT (l998b) Genetic risk of agerelated maculopathy. Population-based familial aggregation study. Arch Ophthalmol 116:1646–1651Google Scholar
- Lambert JC, Berr C, Pasquier F, Delacourte A, Frigard B, Cottel D, Perez-Tur J, Mouroux V, Mohr M, Cecyre D, Galasko D, Lendon C, Poirier J, Hardy J, Mann D, Amouyel P, Chartier-Harlin MC (1998a) Pronounced impact of Thl/E47cs mutation compared with-491 AT mutation on neural APOE gene expression and risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Human Mol Genet 7:1511–1516CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neel JV (l962) Diabetes mellitus: a thrifty genotype rendered detrimental by progress. Am J Hum Genet 14:353–362Google Scholar
- Richard F, Amouyel P (1998) Genetical links between stroke and Alzheimer’s disease. In: Leys D, Pasquier F, Scheltens P (eds) Current issues in neurodegenerative diseases, Vol 9, Stroke and Alzheimer’s disease, ICG The Hague, pp 112–123Google Scholar