Constraints on White Dwarfs as Galactic Halo Dark Matter
Old, cool white dwarf stars have recently been proposed as a candidate for the dark matter in the Galactic halo, following the detection of very faint moving objects in the Hubble Deep Field (HDF) . We describe here an analysis  of ground-based proper motion surveys in which nearby dark halo white dwarfs might be present, if they have the colours and absolute magnitudes proposed. Very few such objects have been found, whereas we argue here that many times more would be expected than were found in the HDF if such objects formed a significant fraction of the dark halo. We use this null-result to derive limits on the optical luminosity of stellar, dark matter candidates.
KeywordsDark Matter White Dwarf Proper Motion Dark Matter Candidate Galactic Disk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Flynn, C., Sommer-Larsen, J., Fuchs, B., Graff, D., Salim, S. 1999, astro-ph/9912264, MNRAS acceptedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Alcock C. et al. 2000, astro-ph/0001272Google Scholar
- 5.Lassarre, T. et al (The EROS Collaboration), 2000, astro-ph/0002253Google Scholar
- 10.Liebert, J., Dahn, C. C., Harris, H. C. and Legget, S. K. 1999, ASP Conf. Ser. 169: 11th European Workshop on White Dwarfs, p51Google Scholar
- 12.Gates, E. and Gyuk, G. 2000, astro-ph/0004399Google Scholar
- 15.Ibata, R., Lewis, G., Irwin, M., Totten, E., Quinn, T. 2000, astro-ph/0002138Google Scholar
- 19.Luyten, W., 1979, 2nd Edition, “LHS catalogue. A catalogue of stars with proper motions exceeding 0”5 annually”, Univ. of MinnesotaGoogle Scholar
- 20.Monet, D., Fisher, M., Liebert, J., Canzian, B., Harris, H. Reid, I.N., 2000, astro-ph/0006008Google Scholar
- 21.Goldman, B., EROS collaboration, 2000, astro-ph/0008383Google Scholar
- 22.de Jong, J. Kuijken, K. Neeser, M, 2000, astro-ph/0009058Google Scholar