Scheduling Train Crews: A Case Study for the Dutch Railways
In this paper, we consider a case study dealing with the scheduling of train crews at Dutch Railways (NS). A heuristic branch-and-price algorithm is used, which is suitable for large scale crew scheduling problems, such as the train guard scheduling problem at NS. Computational results show that our algorithm is capable of getting sub-optimal solutions within reasonable computation time.
KeywordsColumn Generation Linear Programming Relaxation Crew Schedule Partial Path Column Generation Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caprara, A., M. Fischetti, P.L. Guida, P. Toth, and D. Vigo (1999). Solution to large scale railway crew planning problems: The Italian experience. In N.H.M. Wilson (Ed.), Computer-Aided Transit Scheduling, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, 471, Springer, Berlin, 1–18.Google Scholar
- Desrochers, M., J. Gilbert, M. Sauve, and F. Soumis (1992). CREWOPT: Subproblem modeling in a column generation approach to urban crew scheduling problem. In M. Desrochers and J.-M. Rousseau (Eds.), Computer-Aided Transit Scheduling, Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, 386, Springer, Berlin, 395–406.Google Scholar
- Desrosiers, J., Y. Dumas, M.M. Solomon, and F. Soumis (1995). Time constrained routing and scheduling. In M.O. Ball, T.L. Magnanti, C.L. Monma, and G.L. Nemhauser (Eds.), Network Routing, Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science, 8, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 35–139.Google Scholar
- Fischetti, M. and L. Kroon (1999). Scheduling train drivers and guards: The Dutch “Noord-Oost” case. Technical Report Management Rep. no. 25-1999, Erasmus University, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Freling, R. (1997). Models and Techniques for Integrating Vehicle and Crew Scheduling. Ph.D. thesis, Tinbergen Institute, Erasmus University, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Freling, R., D. Huisman, and A.P.M. Wagelmans (2001a). Applying an integrated approach to vehicle and crew scheduling in practice. This volume.Google Scholar
- Freling, R., R.M. Lentink, and A.P.M. Wagelmans (2001b). Crew planning for passenger transportation: A branch-and-price framework. Technical report, Erasmus University, Rotterdam. In preparation.Google Scholar
- Kroon, L. and M. Fischetti (2001). Crew scheduling for Netherlands railways, “Destination: Customer”. This volume.Google Scholar
- Lentink, R.M. (1999). Crew Scheduling voor NS Reizigers (in Dutch). Master’s thesis, Free University Amsterdam, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Lentink, R.M., M.A. Odijk, R. Freling, and J.S. de Wit (2000). Use of operations research to facilitate and improve railway planning. In J. Allen, R.J. Hill, C.A. Brebbia, G. Sciutto, and S. Sone (Eds.), Computers in Railways VII, WIT Press, Southampton, 231–239.Google Scholar