Highly Strengthened Nb3Sn Superconducting Wires
The superconducting wire in a lrge-scale high-field magnet experiences a large electromagnetic force. This force causes an axial tensile stress in the wire as well as a transverse compressive stress, if the radial displacement of the winding is limited by some constraints. There have been many attempts to reinforce superconducting wires in order to improve the mechanical properties and strain tolerance of I c [1, 2, 3, 4]. In wires for compact high-field magnets made by the wind-and-react technique, the choice of the reinforcing material is important because the reinforcing material and the superconducting composites are heat-treated collectively. In order to avoid a decrease in overall critical current density, simple addition of reinforcing material as an internal reinforcing method is not preferable. Replacement of copper in the superconducting composite wire by a material with high strength as well as high electric conductivity such as Ta , alumina-particle-dispersed Cu [6, 7, 8, 9] and Cu−Nb microcomposite [10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18] is promising, although the stability of the wire is reduced to some extent [5,14,18].
KeywordsProof Stress Strain Dependence Composite Wire High Critical Current Density Axial Tensile Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. Flükiger, E. Drost and W. Specking: Adv. Cryog. Eng. 30, 875 (1984)Google Scholar
- 3.K. Noto, N. Konishi, K. Watanabe, A. Nagata and T. Anayama: Proc. Int. Sympl. Flux Pin. Electromagn. Prop. Superconds., eds. T. Matsushita, K. Yamafuji and F. Irie, Fukuoka, 11–14 Nov. 1985 (Matsukura Press, Fukuoka 1985) p.272.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Nakayama, S. Murase, K. Shimamura, N. Aoki and N. Shiga: Adv. Cryog. Eng. 38, 279 (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.S. Murase, S. Nakayama, T. Masegi, K. Koyanagi, T. Nomura, N. Shiga, N. Kobayashi and K. Watanabe: J. Japan Inst. Metals, 61–9, 801 (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.K. Katagiri, K. Watanabe, H.S. Shin, Y. Shoji, N. Ebisawa, K. Noto, T. Okada, K. Goto, T. Saito and O. Kohno: Adv. Cryog. Eng. 42, 1423 (1996)Google Scholar
- 20.K. Kamata, K. Katagiri, T. Okada, T. Takeuchi, K. Inoue, K. Watanabe, Y. Muto, T. Ogata and T. Tsuji: Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Magnet Tech., ed by T. Sekiguchi and S. Shimamoto, Tsukuba, 28 Aug-1 Sept., 1989 (Elsevier Appl. Sci., London, 1989) p. 1231.Google Scholar
- 23.G. Iwaki, M. Kimura, H. Moriai, K. Asano, K. Watanabe and M. Motokawa: Adv. Cryog. Eng. 46, 981 (2000)Google Scholar
- 28.K. Katagiri, K. Watanabe, T. Kuroda, K. Kasaba, K. Noto, T. Okada and O. Kohno: Sci. Rept. RITU A42, 381 (1996)Google Scholar