Adrenal Gland Hormones and the Vascular System
The adrenal cortex synthesizes androgens and gluco- and mineralocorticoids in a multi-step process. Some of its products, such as Cortisol, 11-deoxycortisol, corticosterone, 11-deoxycorticosterone, and aldosterone are only produced by the adrenal cortex, whereas testosterone, progesterone, and other steroids are synthesized both in the adrenal cortex and in the gonads. Glucocorticoid synthesis is stimulated by adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), which is released from the pituitary and is in turn regulated by hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and vasopressin. CRH is released in a pulsatile fashion, causing circadian variations in Cortisol concentrations, maximal in the early morning and minimal in the evening. Under normal circumstances, Cortisol levels modulate ACTH and CRH release by a feedback mechanism . Aldosterone production is mainly regulated by angiotensin II and potassium levels, with ACTH having only a short-term effect.
KeywordsAdrenal Cortex Adrenal Insufficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Autonomic Neuropathy Primary Aldosteronism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Colao A, Pivonello R, Spieza S, Faggiano A, Ferone D, Filippella M, Maruzo P, Cerbone G, Siciliani M, Lombardi G (1999) Persistence of increased cardiovascular risk in patients with Cushing’s disease after five years of successful cure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2664–2672PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Keiser HR (1995) Pheochromocytoma and other diseases of the sympathetic nervous system. In: Becker (ed) Principles and practice of endocrinology and metabolism. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 762–770Google Scholar
- 8.Napoli C, Di Gregorio F, Leccese M, Abete P, Ambrosio G, Giusti R, Ferrara N, De Matteis C, Sibilio G, Donzelli R, Montemarano A, Rengo F, Mansi L, Liguori A (1999) Evidence of exercise-induced myocardial ischemia in primary aldosteronism: the Cross-sectional Primary Aldosteronism and Heart Italian Multicenter Study. J Invest Med 47:212–221Google Scholar
- 10.Seely EW, Williams GH (1995) The cardiovascular system and endocrine diseases. In: Becker KL (ed) Principles and practice of endocrinology and metabolism. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 1713–1721Google Scholar
- 13.Stevens MJ (1996) Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. UpToDate™ in Medicine. Endocrine Society, Bethesda, MD, USA, pp 1–10Google Scholar
- 14.Tuck ML (1995) Endocrine aspects of hypertension. In: Becker KL (ed) Principles and practice of endocrinology and metabolism. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 735–744Google Scholar
- 16.Williams GH, Leonard SL, Seely EW (1997) The heart in endocrine and nutritional disorders. In: Braunwald E (ed) Heart disease. A textbook of cardiovascular medicine. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 1887–1913Google Scholar