Proof of the strong subadditivity of quantum-mechanical entropy
In this paper we prove several theorems about quantum mechanical entropy, in particular, that it is strongly subadditive (SSA). These theorems were announced in an earlier note,1 to which we refer the reader for a discussion of the physical significance of SSA and for a review of the historical background. We repeat here a bibliography of relevant papers.2-9.
KeywordsCompact Operator Positive Matrice Strong Subadditivity Positive Compact Operator Mechanical Entropy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.F. Bauman and R. Jost, in Problems of Theoretical Physics; Essays Dedicated to N. N. Bogoliubov (Moscow, Nauka, 1969), p. 285.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Jost, in Quanta: Essays in Theoretical Physics Dedicated to Gregor Wentzel, edited by P. G. O. Freund, C. J. Goebel and Y. Nambu (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1970), p. 13.Google Scholar
- 11.E. H. Lieb, “Convex Trace Functions and the Wigner-Yanase-Dyson Conjecture”, Adv. in Math., to appear Dec. 1973.Google Scholar
- 13.M. B. Ruskai, “A Generalization of the Entropy Using Traces on von Neumann Algebras,” preprint.Google Scholar
- 14.O. Lanford III, in Statistical Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory edited by C. De Witt and R. Stora (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1971), p. 174.Google Scholar