Allogeneic Cell Therapy with Antigen-Specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes (CTL) for Malignant Melanoma
Melanoma cells express numerous melanoma-associated antigens (MAA) which are recognized by cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) in an HLA-restricted manner [1-7]. However, in most patients a tumor-specific immune response seems to be hampered by tolerance induction. In principal, tumor tolerance should be overcome by transplantation of an HLA-identical immune system followed by transfer of melanoma-specific CTL of the donor. We therefore evaluated strategies for adoptive immunotherapy with allogeneic, major histocompatibility complex (MHC) matched CTL specific for MAA. Several peptide epitopes derived from MAA with known HLA-A*0201-restriction were investigated for their ability to reproducibly induce a melanoma-specific CTL response.
KeywordsMelanoma Cell Line Stimulator Peptide Irrelevant Peptide Peptide Pulse Target Human Melanoma Antigen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guilloux Y, Lucas S, Brichard VG, Van Pel A, Viret C, De Plaen E, Brasseur F, Lefhé B, Jotereau F, Boon T (1996) A peptide recognized by human cytolytic T lymphocytes on HLA-A2 melanomas is encoded by an intron sequence of the N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V gene. J Exp Med 183:1173–1183PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Kawakami Y, Eliyahu S, Sakaguchi K, Robbins PF, Rivoltini L, Yannelli JB, Appella E, Rosenberg SA (1994) Identification of the immunodominant peptides of the MART-1 human melanoma antigen recognized by the majority of HLA-A2 restricted tumor infiltrating lymphocates. J Exp Med 180:347–352PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Mosse CA, Meadows L, Luckey CJ, Kittlesen DJ, Huczko EL, Slingluff CL, Shabanowitz J, Hunt DF, Engelhard VH (1998) The class I antigen-processing pathway for the membrane protein tyrosinase involves translation in the endoplasmic reticulum and processing in the cytosol. J Exp Med 187:37–48PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Spagnoli GC, Schaefer C, Willimann TE, Kocher T, Amoroso A, Juretic A, Zuber M, Luscher U, Harder F, Heberer M (1995) Peptide-specific CTL in tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes from metastatic melanomas expressing MART-1/Melan-A, gp100 and tyrosinase genes: A study in an unselected group of HLA-A2.1-positive patients. Int J Cancer 64:309–315PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Valmori D, Liénard D, Waanders G, Rimoldi D, Cerottini J-C, Romero P (1997) Analysis of MAGE-3-specific cytolytic T lymphocytes in human leukocyte antigen-A2 melanoma patients. Cancer Res 5 5Google Scholar