Refined R&D Indicators for Pharmaceutical Industry
For the sake of providing evidences that contribute to policy making or strategy planning in pharmaceutical industry, we tried to create new R&D indicators to foresight the picture of pharmaceutical industries. We found that R&D pipelines can be good drug-R&D-indicator. We also show new drug-patent-indicators for identifying patents related with pharmaceutical entities’ R&D progress (”Pre-clinical” → ”Phase 1” → ”Phase 2” → ”Phase 3”→ ”Filed ”→ ”Approved” → ”Marketed”). IPC Count, forward citations, and Citations to Non-Patent Literature are found as new drug-patent-indicators. Not only R&D pipelines but also patents extracted by new drug-patent-indicators are considered to foresight pharmaceutical industries’ potential of creating new drugs.
KeywordsPharmaceuticals Patents Indicators Research and development Small molecules Bio-medicine Biotechnology Evidence-based policy patent quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.OECD Pharmaceutical Pricing Policies in a Global Market 216 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Mihara, K.: Considerations on patent valuation based on patent classification and citation in biotechnological field. Johokanri 54(11), 738–749 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.OECD “Working Party on Industry Analysis Measuring patent ‘quality’: refined indicators for cross-country evidence” (2012) DSTI/EAS/IND/WPIA(2012)6Google Scholar
- 4.Goto, A., Genba, K., Suzuki, J., Tamada, S.: RIETEI Discussion Paper Series 6-J-018 (2006) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Caviggioli, F., Schellato, G., Ughetto, E.: Understanding patent quality: evidence from patent opposition cases at the European Patent Office, http://www.epip.eu/conferences/epip06/papers/Parallel%20Session%20Papers/CAVIGGIOLI%20Federico.pdf#search='Understanding+patent+quality%3A+evidence+from+patent+opposition+cases+at+the+European+Patent+Office' (accessed October 25, 2011)
- 10.Branstetter, L.: Exploring the Link Between Academic Science and Industrial Innovation. Annals of Economic and Statistics 79/80, 119–142 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.OECD: Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard, 1–275 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Osabe, Y., Jibu, M.: Development of new indicators for the launch of a Japanese version of NIH (1). Johokanri 56(7), 448–458 (2013) (in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 13.Osabe, Y., Jibu, M.: Development of new indicators for the launch of a Japanese version of NIH (2). Johokanri 56(9) (2013) (in press & in Japanese) Google Scholar
- 14.Osabe, Y., Jibu, M.: Development of new indicators for the launch of a Japanese version of NIH (3). Johokanri 56(10) (2014) (in press & in Japanese)Google Scholar