Software Project Management: Setting the Context
This chapter is designed as the introduction to the book. It provides the motivation for studying software project management as a response to the increasing variety of software development methodologies. The chapter characterizes software projects and presents ten knowledge areas in software project management. This body of knowledge is described in the software edition of the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK). The chapters of the book are classified in terms of their contribution to these knowledge areas.
The chapter also discusses the multidisciplinary nature of the project management discipline. Based on some predicted trends for the future of software engineering, a prediction on the future of software project management is given. Finally, an overview of the content and structure of the whole book is presented.
KeywordsProject Management Software Project Portfolio Management Stakeholder Management Virtual Team
- Boehm BW (2006b) A view of 20th and 21st century software engineering. In: 28th international conference on software engineering, New York, pp 12–29Google Scholar
- Boehm BW, Lane JA (2010) Evidence-based software processes. In: International conference on software process, ICSP 2010. LNCS, vol 6195. Springer, Berlin, pp 62–73Google Scholar
- Goff SA (2009) Visions for the project management software industry. In: Cleland D, Bidanda B (eds) Project management circa 2025. Project Management Institute, Athabasca University, Newtown Square, PA, pp 1–15Google Scholar
- Kruchten P (2011) The frog and the octopus – a model of software development. CSI Commun 35(4):12–15Google Scholar
- Kwak YH, Anbari FT (2008) Impact on project management of allied disciplines: trends and future of project management practices and research. Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, PAGoogle Scholar
- PMI (2013a) A guide to the project management body of knowledge (PMBOK® guide), 5th edn. Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, PAGoogle Scholar
- PMI (2013b) Software Extension to the PMBOK Guide, 5th edn. Project Management Institute, IEEE Computer Society, Newtown Square, PAGoogle Scholar
- PMI (2013c) The Standard for Portfolio Management, 3rd edn. Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, PAGoogle Scholar