A Network Delay Jitter Smoothing Algorithm in Cyber-Physical Systems
Network delay jitter variation in Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) is one of the main factors which cause performance degradation or even system instability, how to smooth the network delay jitter or reduce the uncertainty is one of several major problems that face CPS. We have analyzed network delay jitter research status. A network jitter smoothing algorithm based on exponential smoothing prediction (ESP algorithm) was proposed in this paper. Experimental results show that the algorithm can predict network delay jitter size variation well, effectively reduce the changing network jitter outliers and smooth the network delay jitter. Compared with other algorithms, ESP algorithm has some advantages, and with no need for clock synchronization.
KeywordsCPS Network delay jitter jitter smoothing algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Li, Z., Zhang, T., Zhang, Q.: Survery on the research of Cyber-Physcial systems. CPS 39(9), 25–31 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, E.A.: Cyber physical systems: Design challenges. In: 2008 11th IEEE International Symposium on Object Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), pp. 363–369. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Rajkumar, R.R., Lee, I., Sha, L., et al.: Cyber-physical systems: the next computing revolution. In: Proceedings of the 47th Design Automation Conference, pp. 731–736. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Seuret, A., Termens-Ballester, M., Toguyeni, A., et al.: Implementation of an internet-controlled system under variable delays. In: IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA 2006), pp. 675–680. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramjee, R., Kurose, J., Towsley, D., et al.: Adaptive playout mechanisms for packetized audio applications in wide-area networks. In: 13th Proceedings IEEE Networking for Global Communications (INFOCOM 1994), pp. 680–688. IEEE (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Liberatore, V.: Integrated Play-Back, Sensing, and Networked Control. In: INFOCOM (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Al-Omari, H., Wolff, F., Papachristou, C., McIntyre, D.: An Improved Algorithm to Smooth Delay Jitter in Cyber-Physical Systems. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Embedded Computing and International Conference on Scalable Computing and Communications, pp. 81–86. IEEE, Dalian (2009)Google Scholar