Optimizing the Operation Layer Algorithm of NETCONF Protocol
Modern network has a complex structure that includes diverse and heterogeneous equipment to cope with multi-purpose functions. For proper administration of networks with complex structures, NETCONF protocol has been proposed. It still, however, has a few unresolved issues with each layer of the protocol. Tackling one of the less attended issues of NETCONF, this paper suggests a technique which can efficiently update the configuration data of network equipment when multiple administrators are present. Specifically, for efficient updates of the network equipment configuration, we propose to add a pre-examination of the data dependent to <lock> algorithm in operation layer and modify the data structure for managing XML documents for changing the configurations of network equipment. We have implemented and experimented with our method and confirmed that our approach brought a significant overall performance improvement to NETCONF.
KeywordsNETCONF Operation heterogeneous lock Configuration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Enns, R. (ed.): NETCONF Configuration Protocol. RFC 4741 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Huang, J., Zhang, B., Li, G., Gao, X., Li, Y.: Challenges to the New Network Management Protocol-NETCONF. In: First International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science, ETCS 2009, pp. 832–836 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Chang, Y., Xiao, D.: Design and Implementation of NETCONF-Based Network Management System, pp. 256–259. IEEE Computer Society (2008), doi:10.1109/FGCNGoogle Scholar
- 6.Yoo, S.-M.: Performance Improvement Methods for NETCONF-Based Configuration Management. Computer Science, 242–252 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Ji, H.: Challenges to the New Network Management Protocol-NETCONF. In: First International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science, ETCS 2009, pp. 832–836 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Chang, Y., Xiao, D.: Design and Implementation of NETCONF-Based Network Management System. In: 2008 Second International Conference on Future Generation Communication and Networking, IEEE Computer Society Magazine, pp. 256–259 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Yu, J., Al, I.: An Empirical Study of the NETCONF Protocol. IEEE Computer Society Magazine, 253–258 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, M.: Improved Performance of network configuration management and System base on NETCONF. Korea Communication Science Society Journal 33(9), 787–790 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Mi-Yang, C., Lee, Y.-M., Lee, J.-K.: NETCONF Protocol with Improvements Renewal Method for Device Configuration Data. 2013 Korean Society for Internet Information Spring Conference Magazine 14(1) (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Lee, Y.-M., Lee, J.-K.: Development Renewal Method for Device Configuration Data of NETCONF Protocol considered Multiple Network Managers. In: IEEK Summer Conference 2013. Paper CD (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Cha, M.-Y., Won, J.-S., Lee, J.-K.: Network Circuit Auto Recovery using an Improved NETCONF Protocol. Journal of the Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers 18(9), 628–638 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Lee, Y.-M., Cha, M.-Y., Lee, J.-K.: Development of Update Methods for Configuration Data of NETCONF Protocol considering Multiple Network Administrators. Journal of Korean Society for Internet Information 14(5) (2013)Google Scholar