Stroke as a Complication of Cardiac Hydatidosis
In this chapter, we reviewed a total of 41 previously published cases with stroke as a complication of cardiac hydatidosis with/without multiple hydatid cysts of the brain. It is concluded that in cases with cerebral hydatidosis, a persistent investigation is required to detect new hydatid cyst formation in the heart as a source of embolism. Hydatid disease should be considered in the differential diagnosis of embolic stroke in young patients, especially in pediatric cases in endemic areas of the world in spite of the fact that hydatid disease is becoming rarer.
KeywordsHydatid Cyst Hydatid Disease Echinococcus Granulosus Multiple Cyst Primary Cyst
Thanks to Dimitar Vuchev and Stefan Sivkov, who translated some texts from Bulgarian and Russian to English, and Bülent Bozdoğan for having translated some texts from French and Spanish to English. We especially would like to thank Fuad Sami Haddad for having reviewed the text in English.
- Ašanin B, Milić I, Milović Z. Echinococcosis cerebri: report of two less common cases. Facta Univ Ser Med Biol. 2008;15:64–7.Google Scholar
- Borisenko VV, Shukin ID, Kugoev AI. Ischemic infarction in a patient with echinococcosis of the heart and brain (in Russian). Klin Med (Mosk). 1990;68:122–4.Google Scholar
- Deve F. Echinococcose Secondarie. Paris: Mason Edit; 1946. p. 17–8.Google Scholar
- Díaz P, Maillo A. Middle cerebral artery occlusion after cerebral hydatic embolism in a pediatric patient: case report (in Spanish). Neurocirugia (Astur). 2002;13:216–8.Google Scholar
- Ekici MA, Ekici A, Per H, Tucer B, Kumandas S, Kurtsoy A. Concomitant heart and brain hydatid cyst without other organ involvement: a case report. Düşünen Adam J Psychiatry Neurol Sci. 2011;24:155–9.Google Scholar
- Goz M, Cakir O, Kilinc N, Eren MN. A case of multivesicular cardiac hydatid cyst with cerebral involvement. Turk J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;16:186–8.Google Scholar
- Kanj AH, Fares YH, Yehya RR, Hamzeh FF. Unusual appearance of a cerebral hydatid cyst as a hemorrhagic infarct. Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2010;15:275–6.Google Scholar
- Paillas J, Bonnal J, Payan H, Berard-Badier M. Thrombosis of the internal carotid artery revealing ruptured cardiac echinococcosis and followed by intracranioorbital hydatidosis (in French). Sem Hop (Paris). 1962;38:1200–3.Google Scholar
- Pillai AK, Pillai MV, Vohra S, Oommen EB. Multiple central nervous system hydatidosis secondary to cardiac echinococcosis. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2004;14:81–3.Google Scholar
- Talaslioglu A, Ersoy AO, Soyuer A, Koksal E, Tomar A. A case of cerebral emboli due to cardiac hydatid cyst (in Turkish). Proceedings of the 30th National Neurology Congress. Adana, Turkey. 1994; p. 87.Google Scholar