Localization for a Hybrid Ocean Wireless Sensor Networks
Ocean covers nearly 71 % of our planet’s surface and deploying wireless sensor networks on the sea can perform monitoring tasks over the oceans. With some applications, we may deploy sensors both on the sea surface and underwater which forms a Hybrid Ocean Sensor Networks (HOSNs). In this paper, we discussed a localization scheme with the hybrid wireless sensor networks which combines the advantages of Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) and Underwater acoustic-sensor networks (UWA-SNs). We first introduced the structure of the hybrid wireless sensor networks and its applications, then we discussed a localization schemes MLA for moored nodes deployed underwater. We present the related work and finally discussed our future research of the hybrid ocean wireless sensor networks.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Underwater sensor networks Monitoring sensor networks
The research was supported by the Project of Shandong Province Higher Education Science and Technology Program No. J11LG88. We thank Professor Zhongwen Guo in Ocean University of China for discussions concerning this work, and the anonymous reviewers for their detailed comments.
- 8.Yang Z, Li M, Liu Y (2007) Sea depth measurement with restricted floating sensors. In: 28th IEEE international real-time systems symposium, RTSS 2007, IEEE, pp 469–478Google Scholar
- 9.Whoi: micro-modem overview. http://acomms.whio.edu/micromodem/
- 10.Akyildiz I, Pompili D, Melodia T (2004) Challenges for efficient communication in underwater acoustic sensor networks. ACM SIGBED Rev 1(2):3–8Google Scholar
- 11.Cheng W, Teymorian A, Ma L, Cheng X, Lu X, Lu Z (2008) Underwater localization in sparse 3d acoustic sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 27th conference on computer communications, INFOCOM 2008, IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 12.Zhou Z, Cui J, Zhou S (2007) Localization for large-scale underwater sensor networks. Lect Notes Comput Sci 4479:108Google Scholar
- 13.Ko J, Shin J, Kwon S, Kim C (2008) Localization of sensor nodes in underwater acoustic sensor networks using two reference points. In: International conference on information networking, ICOIN, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 14.Erol M, Vieira L, Gerla M (2007) Localization with dive’n’rise (dnr) beacons for underwater acoustic sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd ACM international workshop on underwater, networks, UUWNet’07, pp 97–100Google Scholar