A Multi-channel MAC Protocol with High Throughput for Wireless Sensor Networks
In wireless sensor networks (WSN), sensor nodes are hardly recharged, so energy efficiency is always considered to be of primary importance. However, recent applications, such as health monitoring applications, require high throughput to transmit sensing data in a burst. Aiming to maximize the integral throughput, we propose a new scheduled multi-channel MAC protocol, named LS-MAC, which adopts a fully distributed scheduling scheme through locally selecting and updating the time slot/channel pair information. Each node is assigned a time slot to transmit on a particular channel, making LS-MAC run efficiently without collisions under high-load traffic scenarios. Extensive simulation results on Glomosim platform show that LS-MAC exhibits higher bandwidth utilization and integral throughput without sacrificing energy efficiency.
KeywordsMAC Multi-channel Wireless sensor networks Glomosim
Thanks to the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61063042) and the Post-Doctoral Foundation of China (201104753).
- 1.Wei Y, Heidemann J, Estrin D (2002) An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at 21th annual joint conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, vol 3. IEEE Press, New York, pp 1567–1576Google Scholar
- 3.Van DT, Langendoen K (2003) An adaptive energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at the 1st international conference on embedded networked sensor systems, ACM Press, Los Angeles, pp 171–180Google Scholar
- 4.Keshavarzian A, Lee H, Venkatraman L (2006) Wakeup scheduling in wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at the 7th ACM international symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing. ACM Press, Florence, pp 322–333Google Scholar
- 5.Rhee I, Warrier A, Aia M, Min J, Sichitiu ML (2008) Z-MAC: a hybrid MAC for wireless sensor networks. IEEE/ACM Trans Netw 16(3):511–524Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou G, Huang C, Yan T, He T, Stankovic JA, Abdelzaher TF (2006) MMSN: multi-frequency media access control for wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at 25th IEEE international conference on computer communications. vol 6. IEEE Press, Barcelona, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- 7.Wu Y, Stankovic JA, He T, Lin S (2008) Realistic and efficient multi-channel communications in wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at 27th Annual IEEE international conference on computer communications. IEEE Press, Phoenix, pp 1193–1201Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang JB, Zhou G, Huang CD, Son SH, Stankovic JA (2007) TMMAC: an energy efficient multi-channel MAC protocol for Ad Hoc networks. In: Paper presented at 2007 IEEE international conference on communications. IEEE Press, pp 3554–3561Google Scholar
- 9.So W, Walrand J, Mo J et al (2007) McMAC: A parallel rendezvous multi-channel MAC protocol. In: Paper presented at 2007 IEEE wireless communications and networking conference. IEEE Press, pp 334–339Google Scholar
- 10.Du S, Saha AK, Johnson DB (2007) RMAC: A Routing-enhanced duty-cycle MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: Paper presented at 26th annual IEEE international conference on computer communications. IEEE Press, Alaska, pp 1193–1201Google Scholar