TraSt: A Traffic Statistic Framework for Evaluating 3G Charging System and Smart Phone Applications
We designed and implemented a traffic analyze framework TraSt (Traffic Statistics) based on tcpdump for Android. This framework can get more detailed traffic usage than any other existing traffic monitor frameworks or applications on smart phones, and help us to explore four aspects of Chinese three major operators’ charging system as well as four kinds of popular smart phone applications. Our work helps 3G users and software developers have a clearer understanding of the similarities and differences among the operators’ charging services, so as to promote the improvement of software development and operators’ services, and our analysis with recommendations to application developers can lead to better system design and network infrastructure support.
KeywordsFramework 3G Charging Smart phone Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Analysis Report on China’s Smart Phone Market in March 2012, http://tech.hexun.com/2012-04-16/140429422.html
- 2.Android NDK, http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/overview.html
- 3.Jnetpcap, http://jnetpcap.com/
- 4.Ministry of Industry and Information Technology. 3G into the Large-scale Development Stage, http://www.miit.gov.cn
- 5.Tcpdump, http://tcpdump.org/
- 6.RFC 3489: STUN — simple traversal of user datagram protocol (UDP) through network address translators, NATs (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.3GPP TS32.240: Telecommunication management; Charging management; Charging architecture and principles (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.G, A.: Global 3G Deployments UMTS HSPA HSPA+ (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, J., Xu, Q., Tiwana, B., Mao, Z.M., Zhang, M., Bahl, P.: Anatomizing application performance differences on smartphones. In: MobiSys 2010, pp. 165–178 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Koutsopoulou, M., Kaloxylos, A., Alonistioti, A., Merakos, L.F., Kawamura, K.: Charging, accounting and billing management schemes in mobile telecommunication networks and the internet, pp. 50–58 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Chan, M.C., Ramjee, R.: TCP/IP Performance over 3G Wireless Links with Rate and Delay Variation. In: MobiCom 2002, pp. 71–82 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Mahajan, R., Zhang, M., Poole, L., Pai, V.: Uncovering Performance Differences among Backbone ISPs with Netdiff. In: NSDI 2008, pp. 205–218 (2008)Google Scholar