Channeling Radiation — Quantum Theory
A general introduction to channeling and channeling radiation is followed by a derivation of a wave equation for the transverse motion of a channeled particle. Owing to the predominance of forward scattering, the deoth of penetration can be treated as a time variable in this equation, and it assumes the form of a time-dependent Schrödinger equation. It is obtained from the Klein-Gordon equation, including interaction with the radiation field. The neglect of spin simplifies the formulation considerably, and it is argued to be well justified in the description of channeling radiation. The treatment also allows a natural inclusion of interaction with the crystal degrees of freedom, which leads to instability of channeling states and line broadening of the radiation. Both thermal and electronic contributions to scattering are discussed in detail, and their influence on the frequency distribution and intensity of channeling radiation is illustrated by comparisons with exoeriment. This scattering is important for the potential applications considered in the last section.
KeywordsTransverse Momentum Transverse Energy Transverse State Transverse Motion Line Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.1J. Lindhard: K. Dan. Vidensk. Selsk. Mat. Fys. Medd. 34, No. 14 (1965)Google Scholar
- 6.5M.L. Ter-Mikaelian: High-Energy Electromagnetic Processes in Condensed Media (Wiley-Interscience, New York 1972)Google Scholar
- 6.6M.A. Kumakhov: Phys. Lett. 57A, 17 (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.7J.U. Andersen, S.K. Andersen, W.M. Augustyniak: K. Dan. Vidensk. Selsk. Mat. Fys. Medd. 39, No. 10 (1977)Google Scholar
- 6.10N.K. Zhevago: Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 75, 1389 (1978) [English trans.: Sov. Phys.-JETP 48, 701 (1978)]Google Scholar
- 6.14V.A. Bazylev, N.K. Zhevago: Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 73, 1697 (1977) [English transl.: Sov. Phys.-JETP 46, 891 (1977)]Google Scholar
- 6.19A.H. Compton, S.K. Allison: X Rays in Theory and Experiment (Van Nostrand, New York 1935)Google Scholar
- 6.29P.B. Hirsch, A. Howie, R.B. Nicholson, D.W. Pashley, J.M. Whelan: Electron Microscopy of Thin Crystals (Butterworth, London 1965)Google Scholar
- 6.31A.H. Sørensen: Ph. D. Thesis, University of Aarhus, Denmark (1983)Google Scholar
- 6.33V.A. Bazylev, V.V. Goloviznin: Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 82, 1204 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.33V.A. Bazylev, V.V. Goloviznin: English transl.: Sov. Phys.-JETP 55, 700 (1982)Google Scholar