Speculations on the Future of Food Webs
Food webs should be more closely integrated with other descriptions of community ecology. Recent technology should be exploited to observe food webs better. The effects of human interventions on food webs should be more carefully studied and better understood.
KeywordsPhosphorus Photosynthesis Alkaloid Microbe Pyramid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, J. E. (1988). The counterintuitive in conflict and cooperation. American Scientist, 76, 576–583.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. E. (1991). Food webs as a focus for unifying ecological theory. Ecology International, 19, 1–13.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. E., R. Beaver, S. Cousins, D. DeAngelis, L. Goldwasser, K. L. Heong, R. Holt, A. Kohn, J. Lawton, N. Martinez, R. O’Malley, L. Page, B. Patten, S. Pimm, G. Polis, M. Rejmnek, T. Schoener, K. Schoenly, W. G. Sprules, J. Teal, R. Ulanowicz, P. Warren, H. Wilbur, & P. Yodzis. (1993a). Improving food webs. Ecology, 74 (1), 252–258.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DeLong, E. F. and Ward, B. B. (1992). Biological oceanography from a molecular perspective. Oceanus, 35 (3), 47–54.Google Scholar
- Eisner, T. and Meinwald, J. (1987). Alkaloid-derived pheromones and sexual selection in Lepidoptera. In: Pheromone Biochemistry, eds. G. D. Prestwich and G. J. Blomquist. Florida: Academic Press, 251–269.Google Scholar
- Pianka, E. R. (1987). The subtlety, complexity and importance of population interactions when more than two species are involved. Revista Chilena de Historia Natural, 60, 351–361.Google Scholar
- Schoof, D. D., Palchick, S., and Tempelis, C. H. (1986). Evaluation of predator-prey relationships using an enzyme immunoassay. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 79, 91–95.Google Scholar
- Youngbluth, M. J., Bailey, T. G., and Jacoby, C. A. (1990). Biological explorations in the mid-ocean realm: food webs, particle flux, and technological advancements. In: Y. C. Lin and K. K. Shida (eds.), Man in the Sea vol. 2, 191–208. San Pedro, CA: Best Publishing.Google Scholar