Phase I Evaluation of cis-Platinum (II) Diamminedichloride (PDD) and a Combination of PDD Plus Adriamycin
A phase I clinical trial of cis-platinum (II) diamminedichloride (PDD) was initiated at Roswell Park Memorial Institute in August 1971. The pre-clinical studies of this inorganic compound indicated a striking activity in several animal tumor models including Dunning ascitic leukemia and Walker 256 carcinosarcoma, Sarcoma 180, and DMBA induced mammary tumors in female rats [3, 4, 5]. The spectrum of toxic effects in these and other pre-clinical studies suggested the possibility of some specificity of activity in human cancers. The genitourinary tract in rats, dogs, and monkeys showed evidence of severe tissue injury at less than lethal doses [1, 2]. Acute tubular necrosis with azotemia and marked atrophy of the prostate gland were seen in monkeys and dogs and testicular atrophy was seen in monkeys. We, therefore, sought patients with advanced genitourinary cancer for inclusion in this study.
KeywordsHerpes Zoster Renal Toxicity Embryonal Carcinoma Acute Tubular Necrosis Complete Regression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Heyman, I. A., Thompson, G. R., Schiappi, A. H., Rosenkrantz, H., Fleishman, R. W., et al.: Report MRI 6002–71–19, Contract NIH–70–2055, Dept. of HEW, PHS, NIH, NCI, Laboratory of Toxicology, 1971.Google Scholar
- 2.Kociba, R. J., Sleight, S. D.: Acute toxicologic and pathologic effects of cis-diamminedidlloroplatinum (NSC-119 875) in the male rat. Cancer Chemother. Rep. (Part 1 ) 55, 1 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.Kociba, R. J., Sleight, S. D., Rosenberg, B.: Inhibition of dunning ascitic leukemia and Walker 256 carcinosarcoma with cis-diamminedidlloroplatinum (NSC-119 875). Cancer Chemother. Rep. (Part 1 ) 54, 5 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.Rosenberg, B., Van Camp, L.: The successful regression of large solid sarcoma 180 tumors by platinum compounds. Cancer Res. 30, 1977 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.Speer, R. J., Lapis, S., Ridgeway, H., Meyers, T. D., Hill, J. M.: Cis-platinumdiamminedichloride (PDD) in combination therapy of leukemia L-1210. Wadley Med. Bull. 1, 103 (1971)Google Scholar
- 6.Welsch, C. W.: Effects of cis-platinumdiamminedichloride(II) on growth of 7,12-dimethylbenzanthracene (DMBA) induced mammary tumors in female rats. Abstract 100, Pharmacologist 12, 2 (1970).Google Scholar