Preliminary Report on Phase 1 Clinical Experience with Combined cis-diamminedichloride Platinum (II) (PDD) and 5-FU
Early developments (National Cancer Institute Brochure, 1972; Rosenberg et al. [13, 14, 15]; pharmacology [1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 18]) and animal tumor effectiveness ([7, 8, 12, 19, 20, 22]) have led to clinical programs [3, 16], Talley and O’Brien involving platinum derivatives. In personal communications (Schabel), discussions have centered around possible therapeutic potentiation of 5-FU by cis-platinum(II) diamminedichloride (PDD) in mouse L-1210 leukemia. As 5-FU was first synthesized and utilized clinically at the University of Wisconsin, much of our time has been spent in developing treatment modalities with 5-FU alone or in combination with other cytotoxic drugs. Certainly, we felt that potentiation of the tumoricidal action of 5-FU would not only benefit known responsive malignancies such as colon or breast adenocarcinomas, but could possibly induce increased activity towards minimally or previously unresponsive malignancies.
KeywordsChronic Lymphocytic Leukemia White Cell Count Single Daily Injection Platinum Coordination Complex Speech Discrimination Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hill, J., Speer, R., Loeb, E., Maclellan, A., Hill, N., Khan, A.: Clinical experience with cis-platinum diamminedichloride, advances in antimicrobial and antineoplastic chemotherapy, Vol. 2, p. 255. München, Berlin, Wien: Urban and Schwarzenberg 1972.Google Scholar
- 5.Howle, J., Thompson, H., Stone, A., Gale, G.: Cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum(II). Inhibition of nucleic acid synthesis in lymphocytes stimulated with phytohemagglutinin (35 675). Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N. Y.) 137, 820 (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.Kociba, R., Sleight, S.: Acute toxicologic and pathologic effects of cis-diamminedidlloroplatinum (NSC-119 875) in the male rat. Cancer Chemother. Rep. 55, 1 (1971).Google Scholar
- 7.Kociba, R., Sleight, S., Rosenberg, B.: Inhibition of dunning ascitic leukemia and Walker 256 carcinosarcoma with cis-diamminedidiloroplatinum (NSC-119 875). Cancer Chemother. Rep. 64, 325 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.Mackman, S., Ramirez, G., Ansfield, F.: Results of 5-fluorouracil (NSC-19 893) given by the multiple daily dose method in disseminated breast cancer. Cancer Chemother. Rep. 51, 483 (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.National Cancer Institute, Brochure on cis-platinum(II) diamminedichloride (NSC-119 875) 1972.Google Scholar
- 17.Schabel, F., Jr.: Unpublished data on combination chemotherapy of NSC-119 875 with NSC-19 893.Google Scholar
- 18.Shooter, K., Howse, R., Merrifield, R., Robins, A.: The interaction of platinum(II) compounds with bacteriophages T-7 and R-17. Chem.-Biol. Interactions 5, 289 (1972).Google Scholar
- 19.Sirica, A., Venditti, J., Kline, I.: Enhanced survival response of L-1210 leukemic mice. to a single combination treatment with cis-platinum(II) diamminedichloride (cis-Pt(II); NSC-119 875) plus cyclophosphamide (CY; NSC-26 271). Proc. Amer. Ass. Cancer Res. 12, 4 (1971).Google Scholar
- 20.Talley, R.: Chemotherapy of a mouse reticulum cell sarcoma with platinum salts. Proc. Amer. Ass. Cancer Res. 11, 78 (1970).Google Scholar
- 21.Talley, R., O’brien, R.: Personal communication.Google Scholar