Orbit Determination in the Presence of Atmospheric Drag Errors
A method for estimating the state of a spacecraft in the presence of unmodeled aerodynamic forces due to fluctuations in the atmospheric density and unknown rotational motion of the spacecraft is presented. The proposed method, based on a Dynamic Model Compensation approach, processes the data in a sequential fashion. In addition to estimates of the state, sequential estimates of the unmodeled aerodynamic accelerations are determined also. The estimates of the unmodeled accelerations can be used to improve knowledge of both the vehicle drag parameter and the atmospheric density.
KeywordsOrbit Determination Space Vehicle Atmospheric Density Atmospheric Drag True Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tapley, B.D.; Ingram, D.S.: Orbit Determination in the Presence of Unmodeled Accelerations. Proc. of the 2nd Symp. on Nonlinear Estimation Theory. San Diego, September 1971.Google Scholar
- 2.Ingram, D.S.; Tapley, B.D.: Lunar Orbit Determination in the Presence of Unmodeled Accelerations. AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Paper No. 71–371, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Schutz, B.E.; Tapley, B.D.; Connolly, P.E.: Orbit Determination in the Presence of Gravity Model Errors. AGU Symp. on Earth Gravity Models, St. Louis, Missouri, August 1972.Google Scholar
- 4.Tapley, B.D.; Schutz, B.E.: Estimation of Unmodeled Forces on a Lunar Satellite. 23rd Cong. of the Int. Astr. Fed., Vienna, Austria, October 1972.Google Scholar
- 5.Tapley, B.D.; Hagar, H.: Estimation of Unmodeled Forces on a Low-Thrust Space Vehicle. Proc. of the 3rd Symp. on Nonlinear Estimation Theory. San Diego September 1972.Google Scholar
- 6.Kalman, R.E.; Bucy, R.S.: New Results in Linear Filtering Prediction Theory. J. Basic Engr., Trans. ASME 83-D (1961).Google Scholar
- 8.Roberts, C.E., Jr.: An Analytic Model for Upper Atmospheric Densities Based Upon Jacchia’s 1970 Models. Celestial Mechanics I I (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.Gaposchkin, E.M.; Lambeck, K.: 1969 Smithsonian Standard Earth (II), Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. Special Report 315 (1969).Google Scholar