A Data-Hiding Method Based on TCP/IP Checksum
Data-hiding has become one of the focuses in the field of information security. Steganographic methods based on TCP/IP are widely used in network environment. In this paper, a new steganagraphic method based on TCP/IP is proposed, which hides encrypted secret information randomly in the checksum domain of TCP segment. Because this kind of domain is never used for data-hiding media and secret data has been encrypted before being embedded and is embedded at random, the approach enjoys better invisibility and anti-statistic attacking performance than other current steganographies based on TCP/IP.
Keywordsdata-hiding steganograph TCP/IP TCP segment checksum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahsan, K.: Covert channel analysis and data hiding in TCP/IP. Masters thesis., University of Toronto (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Ahsan, K., Kundur, D.: Practical data hiding in TCP/IP. In: Proc. Workshop on Multimedia Security at ACM (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Xu, B., Wang, J.-Z., Peng, D.-Y.: Practical Protocol Steganography: Hiding Data in IP Header. Paper presented at the First Asia International Conference on Modelling & Simulation (AMS 2007), 584–588 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Dhobale, D.D., Ghorpade, V.R., Patil, B.S., et al.: Steganography by hiding data in TCP/IP headers. In: Paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (ICACTE) (August 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Ahn, G.-J.: Efficient construction of provably secure steganography under ordinary covert channels. Science China (Information Sciences (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Yang, C.H., Weng, C.-Y., Wang, S.J., et al.: Varied PVD+LS. Bevading detection programs to spatial domain in data embedding systems. The Journal of Systems and Software (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Mare, S.F., Vladutiu, M., Prodan, L., Opritoiu, F.: Advanced Steganographic Algorithm Using Payload Adaptation and Graceful Degradation. In: Lecture Notes in Information Technology—Proceedings of 2012 International Conference on Information Engineering (ICIE 2012) (June 2012)Google Scholar