Enhanced Indirect-Broadcasting Synchronization Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks
Time synchronization in Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) is critical to many WSN applications. A new time synchronization protocol for WSN called Indirect-Broadcast Synchronization (IBS)  has been already proposed. As the protocol operates in cluster tree topology, network lifetime may be shortened mainly by cluster head node[s] (called as a Leader Node in IBS), which consumes more power than cluster member (i.e. non-leader) nodes usually. In this paper, we propose enhanced version of IBS (called EIBS) which saves overall energy and prolongs network lifetime by re-constructing partial cluster tree locally. Compared with other tree construction approaches, this tree reconstruction algorithm is not only simpler, but also more efficient in the light of overall power consumption and network lifetime.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Time Synchronization Energyefficient Network Lifetime Cluster Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bae, S.: Time Synchronization by Indirect-Broadcasting for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Park, J.J(J.H.), Jeong, Y.-S., Park, S.O., Chen, H.-C. (eds.) EMC Technology and Service. LNEE, vol. 181, pp. 659–666. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Sharma, P., Mandal, P.: Reconstruction of Aggregation Tree in spite of Faulty Nodes in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 6th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communication and Sensor Networks (WCSN 2010), Allahabad, India (December 2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Liu, X.: A Survey on Clustering Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Sensors (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Sundararaman, B., et al.: Clock Synchronization for Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey. Ad Hoc Networks (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Yen, Y., et al.: Tree-Clustered Data Gathering Protocol (TCDGP) for Wireless Sensor Networks. Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers 32(7), 1025–1036 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Qian, X., et al.: Clapping and Broadcasting Synchronization in Wireless Sensor Network. In: 2010 Sixth International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Gautam, G., et al.: Time Synchronization Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks using Clustering. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Recent Trends in Information Technology (ICRTIT 2011) (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Du, X., Guizani, M., Xiao, Y., Chen, H.: Secure and Efficient Time Synchronization in Heterogeneous Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 57(4) (July 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Ganeriwal, S., et al.: Timing-Synch Protocol for Sensor Networks. In: ACM Sensys, USA (2003)Google Scholar