Accurate and Efficient Search Prediction Using Fuzzy Matching and Outcome Feedback
While search engines have demonstrated improvement in both speed and accuracy, the response time to queries is prohibitively long for applications that require immediate and accurate responses to search queries. Examples include identification of multimedia resources related to the subject matter of a particular class, as it is in session. This paper begins with a survey of recommendation and prediction algorithms, each of which applies a different method to predict future search activity based on the search history of a user. To address the shortcomings identified in existing techniques, we draw inspiration from bioinformatics and latent semantic indexing to propose a novel predictive approach based on local alignment and feedback-based neighborhood refinement. We validate our proposed approach with tests on real-world search data. The results support our hypothesis that a majority of users exhibit search behavior that is predictable. Modeling this behavior enables our predictive search engine to bypass the common query-response model and proactively deliver a list of resources to the user.
KeywordsSearch Engine Recommender System Local Alignment Near Neighbor Target User
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Levene, M.: An Introduction to Search Engines and Web Navigation, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Cleger-Tamayo, S., Fernández-Luna, J.M., Huete, J.F., Pérez-Vázquez, R., Rodríguez Cano, J.C.: A proposal for news recommendation based on clustering techniques. In: García-Pedrajas, N., Herrera, F., Fyfe, C., Benítez, J.M., Ali, M. (eds.) IEA/AIE 2010, Part III. LNCS, vol. 6098, pp. 478–487. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tellez, E.S., Chavez, E., Navarro, G.: Succinct nearest neighbor search. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Similarity Search and Applications (SISAP), pp. 33–40 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Xiong, L., Xiang, Y., Zhang, Q., Lin, L.: A novel nearest neighborhood algorithm for recommender systems. In: Proceedings of the Third Global Congress on Intelligent Systems(GCIS), pp. 156–159 ( November 2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Dasarathy, B.V.: Nearest neighbor (NN) norms: NN pattern classification techniques. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Tan, P.-N., Steinbach, M., Kumar, V.: Introduction to Data Mining, 1st edn. Pearson Addison-Wesley (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Bertsekas, D.P.: Dynamic Programming and Optimal Control, 3rd edn. Athena Scientific (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Cormen, T.H., Leiserson, C.E., Rivest, R.L., Stein, C.: Introduction to Algorithms, 3rd edn. The MIT Press (2009)Google Scholar