PHAT: Physical Human Activity Tester
This paper introduces PHAT, a 3D environment for facilitating the development of AAL services by providing a virtual living lab. PHAT’s purpose is reduce development costs of these services. It is based on an existing 3D game engine, jMonkeyEngine, to provide realistic representations of scenarios including visual details and physics laws to make the simulations more credible. The 3D engine is combined with MASON, a Multi-Agent System Based Simulation tool. MASON is used to create repeatable experiments and facilitate the testing in controlled situations. The paper shows a proof of concept of the MASON-jMonkeyEngine where some unexpected behaviours are modelled thanks to the properties of the 3D engine.
KeywordsModelling Parkinson’s Disease Simulation Mixed Reality Multi-Agent Based Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Garcia-Valverde, T., Campuzano, F., Serrano, E., Villa, A., Botia, J.A.: Simulation of human behaviours for the validation of ambient intelligence services: A methodological approach. J. Ambient Intell. Smart Environ. 4(3), 163–181 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Campillo-Sanchez, P., Serrano, E., Botía, J.A.: Testing context-aware services based on smartphones by agent based social simulation. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments 5, 311–330 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Shoulson, A., Marshak, N., Kapadia, M., Badler, N.I.: Adapt: the agent development and prototyping testbed. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games, pp. 9–18. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Lewis, M., Jacobson, J.: Game engines in scientific research - introduction. Commun. ACM 45(1), 27–31 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Gregory, J.: Game engine architecture. Ak Peters Series. A K Peters, Limited (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Banks, J., Carson, J.S., Nelson, B.L., Nicol, D.M.: Discrete-Event System Simulation, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall (2000)Google Scholar